G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:41 pm 
Addict

Another slow day today, so I started looking at Flyers that I don't get in the mail .... oh boy!

Air Tool sales at Canadian Tire.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6 ... ?locale=en
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6 ... ?locale=en

I know I'd be getting 2 impact guns and air hammers, but I'm thinking of the air ratchet more-so. The kit is actually cheaper than a ratchet, and sounds like the tools are better than those with the compressor.

Someone convince me that this is a justifiable purchase to be used for suspension changes and wheel painting, and that it'd be okay to be kept outside under a little shelter/tarp. The outside storage is just so I don't have to cart it to the basement everytime I'm finished with it. Also, would it be suitable to run off a 100ft extension cord?

UPDATE - SEE BELOW POST
FOR SALE

Last edited by sargeants on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:13 pm 
Fieronut

The impact set would be something to start off, you will only need one kit. Get the electric impact gun when it goes on sale again for $50 (Regular $150) the one that comes in a case. I find it more handy for the bigger jobs then the air impact gun. As for the tank it's tooo small, find yourself a larger upright tank, we got a 30 or 40 gallon from Home Depot that can run off 120V or 208V. Now & then they will have good sale on floor models or last years inventory for $100+ off. I had the same 8 gallon tank and burnt the motor out in 4 years. :roll:

We picked up something like this when it went on sale for $499. Ours is a HUSKY but I see Home depot doesn't carry that anymore :?: :?:
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/30-gall ... sor/998714

princess auto
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product ... Compressor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:02 am 
Addict

I've already got a Mastercraft electric impact gun (got it for $75 I think-on sale).

Hrmm... about the tank.. I'll think about it, but this price is more in my range for now and what I plan on using in 4 years. So if it lasts me that time, I think I'll be happy. I can see you using the tank/compressor far more than me, with all your engine changes and extra repairs. If this craps out in 4 years, maybe we'll have a house by then and I can get a large tank to sit in the garage/shed.... I can dream can't I?
My dad has one about this size(maybe 20Gal?) that's lasted well over 10 years - maybe even onto 20 years now, though things were better built back then.

I also think I've just convinced myself to get them both, the compressor/tank with tools, and the extra tool set. For $200 tax in, I should be set to do any work I would normally do.. just easier.

There, I'm convinced... now to convince Laura before Friday...hmmm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:54 am 
Fieronut

sargeants wrote:
now to convince Laura before Friday...hmmm

That's easy, tell her now that she pays you $1 every time she needs her tires filled. After 200 fills, the compressor is paid off! :lol:

8-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:53 pm 
Addict

Haha - I think the TTC has their own tire pumps... and pretty sure subways don't use inflatable tires :lol:

If she did drive, I'd be out there deflating the tires every other day :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:39 pm 
Single again

It's easier to beg forgiveness than it is to ask permission!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:15 am 
Addict

I'm with Adam on the compressor - wish I'd gotten a bigger one up front. At the office we have a DeWalt upright that so outperforms mine especially with continuous draw tools (like die grinders). The tank capacity helps but the bigger advantage is higher unregulated tank pressure - this DeWalt charges up to 160 or 180 or so then regulates down to your set pressure, so the continuous airflow stays constant. My home one only charges to 120 or so - 5 or 10 seconds with the grinder and the pump is already on trying to keep up (and it doesn't :) ).

The early burn-out is only one reason - the usability is another big one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:12 pm 
Addict

netcam wrote:
It's easier to beg forgiveness than it is to ask permission!

True - but also asking at the right time helps. Mentioned it to the M-i-L while she was over lastnight, and was on my side to get things while on sale. Asked Laura this morning while she was about to leave, and got a 'sounds like a deal' approval.
If it's a real problem, I can always return it later...

But rather than getting that 8ga one with the tool set, I think I'll spend the extra $140 and get the 20ga and be settled for longer. - still 55% off
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/produ ... 3192661727
Really spent alot more time looking up scfm for compressors and tools I plan on getting.... and this compressor comes with the ratchet, which I'm after more. Anything else I'm sure I can steal/borrow from my dad.
Max 125psi, but some decent throughput for the stuff I'd get into.

Now the weather needs to go back to what we had last weekend so I can go out and annoy the neighbours.. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:40 pm 
Fieronut

Quote:

Yeah it's a good price but like they say, you get what you paid for. I think the sale price should the actuall reaguler price for this compressor when you compare it to this one.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product ... Compressor

The Sanborn has a proper generator and comprssor that are not phsyically attached to each other. If one does burn out by chance, you can replace that one peice rather then the whole item. plus it has a two head compressor instead of a small single head. Wonder what rpms the crappy tire compressor runs at to to keep pressure, I'm sure the Sanborn one won't work as hard or as long to build up pressure.

8-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:05 pm 
Addict

Thanks for everyone's input. I did end up getting A compressor/tank, and the tool set.

The one I actually picked up is neither of those mentioned - but close to the cheapie one. - http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/1/CompressorsAirTools/Compressors/PRDOVR~0588389P/Campbell+Hausfeld+8+Gallon+200+PSI+Air+Compressor.jsp?locale=en
It's still a 8ga tank, but a compressor up to 200psi. This gives slightly more scfm, and realistically should be fine for the intermittent use I'll be putting it through. So I won't be able to properly run the die grinder or a sander.. but I don't see myself using either of those much.. and I'd need to get a sander; which I already have an electric palm sander, so not gonna happen.

I may regret it later, but figure that if my dad has managed with his tank/compressor this long for what he, my brother and I have done - I think I should be fine with this.

Now if only the weather would go back warm I could get started on some things outside and not freeze.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:50 am 
Addict

Okay - well I haven't had it very long, and only used it 3 days/times.

I'm selling it! It's a great compressor for what I used it for - but buying it maybe wasn't the best choice for me. Still have the box, but think I got rid of the foam packing.
I won't be using it much at all now or in the future, so might as well give someone a deal. (major Fiero projects are *nearly* done, and I bought a new car instead of continuing to repair my old one)

I upgraded the hose that came with it, and picked up the 71 piece tool kit, and a basic HVLP paint gun as well - but no need for it without the compressor.
The only tool I really used was the die grinder (even though I said I wouldn't), and some of the sockets. So they are a bit dirty from the rust dust, as I used it with a grinding wheel and the sanding wheels (only 1 left).

Compressor: (Retail $300) http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6 ... ?locale=en
Toolkit: (Current Sale $99)(I got the version before this - so slightly different look) http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6 ... ?locale=en
Paint Gun: (Retail $25) (I believe this is the one)http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Hvlp/HVLP-Mini-Gravity-Feed-Paint-Spray-Gun/8155582.p

I paid just over $300 for it all (being honest and not taking advantage of the current prices to make money). Just wanting to re-coup some/most as this is only a few months old, barely used and stored in the basement.

ASKING $250 - OBO
Everything to go together.

reply - PM - email - phone
Steve
sargeants at Gmail d0t com
416-84Four-Two87One

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:39 pm 
Single again

Do you think that compressor would be powerful enough to run a sand blaster?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:29 pm 
Addict

Depends on what the sandblaster requires for air flow (SCFM).
It worked well for the die grinder and sanding and stone wheels - kept it about 40psi, wasn't looking for much speed. Kept up nicely... though constant use meant the pump was constantly going.

The SCFM is 4.8 @ 40 PSI and 3.5 @ 90 PSI