G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Vibe 1.8 engine blown
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:39 am 
Single again

Daughter has an 08 with 120kms or so. Was in the driveway letting me know the engine light's been on for a couple weeks. Funny sound coming from the alternator/water pump area. I'm thinking hmm, but the amps are good as is the temp. Car runs like a champ. 250 kms later not so much. I'm getting the car later today. CAA from Ridley NY. I cannot say enough about CAA. Every time I've needed them they have been great, and in this case, have gone above and beyond as Lou let her membership lapse and they still covered her (for the price of re-entry!).

I'll have a look when I get it. Loosing power and making a rucuss for the last 10 miles on I90. Oil was good, coolant a little low but apparently spewing when she stopped working at the last exit. Towed to the local garage and their analysis was simply, needs a new engine. Engine cranks making an awful sound now but will not start. I won't speculate, but doesn't sound good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:35 am 
wannabe

Sorry to hear about your engine. CAA is invaluable though.

I've used them in the states (via AAA) when I locked my keys in the Fiero at a restaurant outside Watkins Glen. The call from the driver when he arrived was funny: "I didn't think I'd need to ask, but which Fiero?".

I've been pulled out of a ditch once, my wife has been pulled out of numerous high-centers during winters over the year (invariably on our own street).

Only once have I ever had a bad experience with CAA. My wife had a tire blow out. She called CAA, then called me. I got there about the same time as the driver, and he just said "I don't want to be changing a tire in the rain", and looked at me. He did change the tire, but made me inflate it (of course the spare was low -- that was my bad for not checking).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:12 pm 
Fieronut

Curious, if you new the engine light has been on for two weeks & making a funny sound, why didn't you go get it looked at before taking on a long trip? :|

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:05 pm 
Single again

x-thumpr-x wrote:
Curious, if you new the engine light has been on for two weeks & making a funny sound, why didn't you go get it looked at before taking on a long trip? :|

As she was leaving was when the information was provided. She's back and forth to Pittsburgh on a regular basis - meaning it had made the trip like that a couple of times. Hindsight of course I should have offered my car, or her husband his ... lots of options, but none other than the wrong one taken.

Now sitting in the driveway so will take a look over the weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:49 pm 
Single again

10psi, 0psi, 0psi, 92psi. Nothing clunking, a little moisture around the left plugs. Oil looks good, nothing unusual around the filler tube. Intake is off as is a whole slew of connectors & hoses which I hope I've labeled correctly & taken pics of. Hopefully tomorrow disconnect the exhaust manifold and take the more interesting sections of the engine apart.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:36 pm 
Single again

So the head is off, and other than a little moisture around the exhaust manifold section of the head gasket, nothing really striking me as abnormal. Valves look ok, pistons in-tact, walls look ok - although the 3 in question all have a few ever-so-faint vertical scaring along the exhaust wall which the final proper psi cylinder does not. I'm now kicking myself for not adding a bit of oil down to the cylinder and repeating the compression test to verify the rings; I was so convinced I was going to see a disintegrated head gasket.

Questions:
Anything else I should be looking for?
In for a penny, do the rings while I'm here?
Valves pass the "liquid" test, should I pull them apart and have the head machined?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:42 pm 
wannabe

My personal opinion, is do it right or don't do it. Your in there, valve seals, machine, and might as well do the rings, and bearings in the bottom end. Or just buy a scrapyard engine and swap it. I wouldn't bother with a half ass rebuild unless you want to just throw on a head gasket and see what happens :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:44 pm 
Single again

Officially dead.

Took the head in to be resurfaced and is warped well beyond the .004 allowance ... 3 pieces of paper or approx .012 to be precise.

And that's that as $250.00 to "attempt" to straighten + pistons + rings + gaskets puts me above the low-kms salvage yard plug 'n play route. My old Vibe had 260kms and based on the general availability of 300km cars on Kijiji, me thinks it a pretty good solution - that is of course as long as the water pump doesn't seize!

Cheers guys & gals.