G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ry86GT
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:00 pm 
Addict

Hey all. I'm relatively new to Fiero's. I wanted a car that I could insure and enjoy as a "classic" (i.e. affordable insurance) and wrench on as a hobby car. After looking around for a while and quite mistakingly stumbling upon what is now my car it was like it was meant to be.

Here's my toy at the end of last year right before putting it away and starting give it some real attention.

It has 73,xxx kms and is original paint. It's a great looking 10 foot car, but shows its age in spots up close. I'm ok with that, I think it adds to it's charm. I liked it because it was unique, sporty, sounded good (engine/exhaust sound) and to my surprise it got immediate wife approval.

I got to drive it for about a month or so last fall after I bought it. I am the third owner, it's never been wintered, and it became obvious that the second owner did not drive it very much. After getting into it I've found a few quirks, and have had a few issues come up that I've been taking on one at a time. I've come to find that's the beauty of a toy car - there isn't that stressful mad rush to finish the job and you aren't necessaruly completely screwed if it doesn't go as planned or you run out of time and have to step away.

Things I did last fall to safety it and fix it up as problems came about.
- Replaced rear left caliper (was seized), machined rotors (rear) and new brake pads (all 4 corners)
- New e-brake cables installed (all 3 were seized)
- Drain and fill transmission fluid
- Standard oil change (first thing I did)
- Replaced front shocks (seals must have rotted out, they were leaking and dead after 2 or 3 drives)
- Replaced heater core (started leaking after driving a few weekends)
- Holley side intake cover
- DIY built an adjustable clutch banjo & installed a steel/recall clutch pedal
- Removed aftermarket spoiler installed by previous owner. DIY plugged the holes in the deck lid for now. (Not a permenant fix, but will have to do for now)
- Re-installed OEM wheels and tires, sold the weird setup that the previous owner had on there (huge back tires and tiny front tires).
- Re-foamed OEM sub (surround had rotted out and gave way on a cruise, I wanted to keep OEM stereo so I repaired it myself).
- Changed fuel filter

Currently I'm in the process of trying to finish up my winter project that I started in the fall, which is pretty-ing/cleaning up the engine bay a bit and taking care of a little bit of surface rust on the frame (sand/grind/cut & prime and paint as required). Happily the only really bad rust spot was under the battery which is typical from what I understand, I cut some of the metal out there. Amongst a few other things the engine bay is getting refinished valve covers and an 88 engraved intake plenum, new plugs, cap, rotor, wires, coil, re-finished OEM intake to replace a chrome thing from the previous owner, and other minor/subtle engine bay tweaks to reduce clutter where I can. I know the 2.8 isn't anything special, but I was hoping to be able to generate a few nice reactions when I popped the deck lid this summer.

One thing is for sure, I'm really looking forward to getting back out on the road and enjoying it - and I'm very much hoping that all this work irons out a stumble/miss-fire and bouncing tach that I had when cruising at low RPM with partial throttle. It still ran fine under hard acceleration so fingers are crossed.

To break up my wall of text here's a photo that was on my phone of the newly refinished plenum in all its shiny red glory :D

A long intro, but whatever. I'm sure you only looked at the photos anyway :lol: . I'm in Cambridge so if anyone is in the Cambridge / K/W area and wants to meet up sometime let me know.

Post subject: Re: Ry86GT
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:17 pm 
Single again

Nice ride! Looks like a younger, better looking version of mine! :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:26 am 
Addict

Thanks. Maybe we can put them side by side sometime :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:05 pm 
Addict

That's a great looking car there! I like the no spoiler look on the fastbacks.
Maybe add a lip at the end.

Also - that's a great re-finish on the intake and valve covers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:28 am 
Addict

Looks like just a fine car, nice start. Much unlike the POS cars most of us started with. Obviously a sign of great intelligence, welcome aboard!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:13 am 
Addict

^^LOL!

I probably also paid more than what most of you would have for a Fiero. Perhaps a sign of un-intelligence :roll: (is that even a word???)

I wanted to start with a good base though, something I could drive right away and work on as needed. Thanks for the warm welcome.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:21 pm 
Guru

nice & welcome!

share it in the spring!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:39 pm 
Addict

I'm slowly getting there. There's more left to do than I care to admit, but I should be able to start it pretty shortly.

Hopefully when the time comes it actually fires up and runs well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:38 pm 
Guru

it's lookin good Ryan; good work!
clean is nice. :D