G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ol Blu ... :)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:50 pm 
Addict

Greetings to one and all! Well I'm Brian and although I don't belong to AA, my wife says for a time I should have belonged to Fieros Anonymous - that is before I got a dog and grounded my little 2 seater for all but local romps. On the bright side, my daughter has taken an interest and has the bug so it's pretty rare that Blu sits too long in the garage. As long as it's between May & October that is. A gal this old has earned it.

I started the obsession with an '85 SE which I owned for about 5 years. I found silver at a wreckers on the ground. Pieced it back together with some parts from an '84 I also owned (part car). I still remember my father saying "that'll never run" ... well 20,000kms later before I made the ultimate mistake. A couple of little things finally got to me and before knowing that there was a support forum decided to trade it in on another Pontiac - BIG MISTAKE. I didn't exactly know what the "car heaven" program was, and when I clued in it was too late.

Then onto the dark years ... ok, not that long. 1 year later and I picked up what was ultimately to become 'Ol Blu - more on that later.

In the meantime, the build was getting a little long in the tooth so I needed a toy. I picked up yet another silver, a 1987 GT which I owned and had fun with for a couple years until it was time to get back to the build.

A year later and I'm getting bored again. Scouring Kijiji and I pick up the find of the century. This thus far has been my favourite. 4 speed with a lowered shifter. Handled like it was on rails and kicking subs pre-built into the firewall. I loved this car - for about a year.

Just after I sold the 85 and was waiting to gather up some funds to paint Blu, this one dropped in my lap. Blu needed seats, tires & a stock radio (I hate all the little knobs on the new stereos). I purchased the car in pieces and put it back together. A project gone bad for the previous owner. Coppertop will know this once as he purchased it from me after a very short period of time. Methinks it ended up with a 3800 ... ?

And finally after all my flipping around. Buying this, selling that, gathering & trading parts, Blu was ready for paint & the road. Started essentially as a rust-bucket wreck, suspension added from an 88SE ;), all body parts removed and painted. More new parts to keep the Fierostore in business one more month. It's been and is a great car. Eventually I'll have to figure out why it wanders around more than my others - but that's for technical - and Willy :). It of course has had quarter windows for a few years now as well as new exhaust - but you get the picture.

Glad to have had the chance to finally document my Fiero wanderings. Many distractions in the past 12 years or so, Motorcycles, Mustangs, now a Karmann Ghia - but the Fiero remains my fave. Roof over my head when the weather becomes in-climate, and miles better than the aforementioned vehicles :)

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Ol Blu ... :)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:28 am 
wannabe

Yup it ended up as a 3800 supercharged 4spd manual, I drove it for a year then sold it to a good friend of mine who's done a few more modifications, upgraded pulley on the supercharger, zzp after cooler and meth kit......he drag races it now and wants to swap it back to automatic.

Jer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:16 pm 
Guru

hey Brian! good to hear from ya again!

wouldn't mind seeing some pics of your ghia, very unique car.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:34 am 
Addict

OHNIKO wrote:
hey Brian! good to hear from ya again!

wouldn't mind seeing some pics of your ghia, very unique car.

She's up on stands in the garage at the moment. Gas tank out & rims getting powdercoated (the red rims just had to go!). Once back on the ground I'll get some worthy pics but for now ...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:09 am 
Fieronut

Is it me or every car you owned, you lived in a different house? Change your living style as much as your driving style? :mrgreen:

O.K. looked again, the 85GT & 87GT(blue) might be the same place. :lol:

8-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:14 pm 
Addict

Good catch on the 85GT & Blu being my place. Other than the 85SE which was taken at my Mother-in-law ex's cottage, the rest are shots outside the PO's houses.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:06 pm 
Guru

nice ghia; thanks 4 sharing...it stands out! 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:18 am 

Sweet, love the blue Fieros. Is that the stock blue paint?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:26 pm 
Addict

Oh my, didn't know you had a Karmann Ghia! Very nice. That's the wife's dream car. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:33 am 
Addict

Bradtholomew wrote:
Sweet, love the blue Fieros. Is that the stock blue paint?

Yep. I was going to do a paint change, but saw it at the 25th in both sun & moonlight - had to have it. Stock blue had a very heavy metallic so a very rich colour.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:38 am 
Addict

canuckmark wrote:
Oh my, didn't know you had a Karmann Ghia! Very nice. That's the wife's dream car. :)

Well then we should talk. It's really only a winter toy-restore and will most likely have it up for sale late spring.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:43 pm 
Guru

BigB wrote:
canuckmark wrote:

Well then we should talk. It's really only a winter toy-restore and will most likely have it up for sale late spring.

cool, how much? ballpark :D
just curious & can spread the word...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:53 pm 
Addict

That wheel/tire combo in the first picture with the silver notchie is one of very few aftermarket wheel/tire combos that I've seen on a Fiero and actually liked. It suited the car very well. Cool story.

I like the Ghia too, always have :-)