G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 86 SE
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:50 pm 

Hi Everyone,
I'm Martha. I've been driving a 1986 black SE since March 1987. At the time, I lived beside the manager of a GM dealership and asked him what he could do for me. He brought me a brand new white GT but I didn't like the look of the back of it (nor, now that I think of it, a white car). Then he brought me a slightly used black SE and I got a deal and fell in love. It had been used as a promo car by the captain of the U of T football team in order to advertize the dealership. It had 15,000 k and was about a year old but has been my baby ever since.
We've had some really good times: numerous trips to Muskoka, Cleveland and even Cooperstown. And we've had some bad times: stuck in a snow drift, slid down the ramp into the door of my parking garage and almost got evicted (notwithstanding it was their fault for not clearing the ramp of slush), being CAA's best tow-truck customer (funny story: one tow was on a flatbed where the driver thought I was going to drive the car off so he removed all the chains holding it down. I thought he only wanted me to put it in neutral and when I did, it started to roll right off the flatbed and over me! Luckily I fit under the open door, didn't have any body parts under the wheels and made it out unscathed. Quite exciting. Who else can say they've been run over by their own car?).
But what's brought me to the this forum was the fact that I can't get a windshield washer switch! My mechanic, Marty, is the best: he used to write Fiero service manuals. But there are a few parts he can't get or I can order cheaper from the Fiero Store in Conneticutt (anyone else use them?), until the washer swtich. The Fiero Store told me it had been discontinued. What? After 26 years I have to get new car because of the windshield washer!!!! Actually, Marty was able to rig up something for me. But this incident begs the question: Where do you guys get parts?
Baby and I are glad we found you,
Martha
PS. Any other women here?

Post subject: Re: 86 SE
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:06 pm 
Guru

welcome sweets & great stories!

can't really say i've been chased by my car to date, but some folks here have had cars fall on them from jacks...no names. :D
we use each other for parts & expertise/advice here,
hopefully someone here will have a spare or know a local source.
our main suppliers are fiero store, pennock's fiero forum (great!), rodney dickman (do a search online 4 him), ebay...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:03 pm 

Thanks. Glad to be here. Partly 'cause i just got baby out of the hospital. He stalled yesterday and wound't start. I love talking to tow truck drivers. They're always so impressed with my car. Turns out that the distributor just bought from the Fiero Store and installed here had a defective module. Marty took out the module and replaced it with the one from my old distributor, which I luckily hadn't sent back yet for the core charge refund. But what a drag, man. And this is the second part from the Fiero Store that was defective. Anyone else had problems with them?
Martha

Last edited by peacockblue on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:21 pm 
Guru

sometimes, but they tend to be pretty good if u call them up & tell them staright up what went wrong with their part & to fix it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:10 pm 
Fieronut

I use Fiero Store when no other place has the parts, normally I will get parts from Rock Auto. Never had an issue with any other thier parts.

Also, sent you a pm on the windshield switch. ;)

8-)