G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:49 pm 
wannabe

Hey Everyone,
I thought I would let you all know what I have been up to and why. This is going to be a big run on sentence bunch of rambling with bad grammar throughout so be warned! lol
Since buying my first Fiero back in the end of November 2011, and doing the engine swap in 2013 it became clear to me I had a knack for working with machinery. I think the key thing here is having buck loads of patience lol. Any how time spent working on the car was a very rewarding experience. Once it was do I started do the regular maintenance on all my cars, and then friends cars and the tasks kept changing, breaks, axles, transmission changes, time belt covers water pumps, power searing pumps, head gaskets and so on and so on. All the while I loved every second of it. I would go to work hate almost every minute of it not because of the people I worked with, they were they only thing good about the job. I simply had no sense of accomplishment working at the bank running their call center dialer, day in day out. It was a job not a carrier. So it clicked I should have been a mechanic! Shit the money I could have saved myself over the years lol. I thought dam I wish I had shop class when I was in school. I could have found a carrier I love and not be stuck in a job that wasn't a passion for me. So I had enough, realized I got another 20 or so years to work left in me do I really want to do that with the bank! Hell No, I looked at my options and planned a carrier change. I applied to Conestoga College in Guelph for 3 separate programs and got accepted to all 3 so it was my choice and I went for Truck and Coach Technician gonna get my 310T, gonna go work in the trades. I resigned from work in August last day at CIBC was August 19th I had 15 years of service with the bank. Sept 6 I started full time at College its a eight month course that gives me the 310T level 1 and 2 apprentice skills. I started looking for work Sept 7'th and believe it or not i found a job in my town with a big Trucking fleet company just 3 days later, which is good because I need to feed myself while I go get my learn on. I now get real world shop training at work and at school its amazing I am loving it all, I couldn't be happier. I have no spare time because I'm going to school throughout the week and I'm working 12 hours shift at the shop Saturday and Sunday's but its great, the weekdays are now my weekends going to school with all these 19 to 25 year old kids is a blast, if your thinking about making a big change too my advise is DO IT! You only live once! Be happy!
Cheers

Last edited by SaturnTO on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:38 pm 
Addict

Congrats man - that's a big step most people wouldn't have the stones to try! Good for you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:51 am 
Addict

Gotta look at it this way, 40 hours working, 16 hours personal time, hopefully the working is enjoyable otherwise what's the point!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:20 pm 
Guru

awesome! just do it (:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:10 am 
Addict

Congrats Brian- Wait until all the people you know start showing up at your door to get you fix their cars... :)

All the best bud.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:11 pm 

Awesome! Good for you. Yes you only live once so you may as well work at your passion once you discover what it is.