PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:36 pm 
Gold Member

https://ibb.co/iR6cba
https://ibb.co/dcLg2F
https://ibb.co/g0QLwa
https://ibb.co/hev3Ga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:15 am 
Addict

That is beautiful! Nice touch with the wooden steering wheel.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:18 pm 
Gold Member

Thnx took me 2 years to find it and a year to get it to near new condition. Just replaced the distributor shaft o ring today and got the timing bang on! Runs great. Also high heat painted the heat shields and added heat wrap on all the wires. Changed all fluids and did a full inspection. Could barely find any surface rust anyware!! Lots of oil rust proof spray!! That's a good thing!! I don't understand why some people put down these 2.8s. When tuned and taken care of they run and perform great!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:58 pm 
wannabe

Nice looking car!

But the 2.8s are slow as balls by todays standards :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:54 am 
Addict

SSKev wrote:
But the 2.8s are slow as balls by todays standards :)

Which is great for your wallet. Driving my 2.8 manual feels like I'm in the Indy while only doing the speed limit; the 3800, probably close to losing my license every time out. Also, the 2.8 has a real raspy exhaust tone vs something that sounds like it has a hole in the muffler (well, with a wind-tunnel intake).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:06 am 
Gold Member

If you want today's standards why not drive today's cars. I didn't buy mine for speed cruising around is just fine for me. And mine sounds better than a new car anyway!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:59 am 
wannabe

I do drive todays cars, as well as a Fiero. I really like the Fieros and the looks. I just don't think its fair to say they perform great, they really don't without an engine swap.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:47 pm 
Gold Member

When you say "perform great" what do you mean? when not tuned? too slow? mine performs as it should and as it was made to.

maybe you need to come and drive mine then!!! I don't find the 2.8 slow at all, when tuned and maintained properly. Slow is the Iron Duke!!

Maybe I'm lucky that my family owns a new car dealership and we have a couple mechanics that know these cars inside and out. I get to 100 with ease in second and no problem to get to 160 and beyond and remain smooth and keep up with rice rockets. if the 2.8 isn't maintained, including not having the distributor timing and shaft placement correct then you can notice some sluggishness off the start, mainly because the timing and shaft placement is probably off by mere milometers. that said first gear could be a little better ( not as short) but 2 through 5 are no different than other commuter cars from todays age.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:56 pm 
wannabe

For acceleration, slow to me is 15s or slower in the 1/4 mile, and a car isn't decent until its in the low 13s, quick would be faster then say a 12.4 or so, and fast would be anything quicker then 11s.

For handling a Fiero with good tires and everything else in good shape (especially a correct alignment), a Fiero is actually pretty damn good, tires are key to this though.

Its hard for me to describe handling quantitatively, as I have no real measurement I could easily come up with and compare.

I found a stock 3800SC swapped Fiero to not be very exciting, it wasn't until you start upping the power on a 3800 swapped car that I start finding it fun from the acceleration aspect.

What is a craptonne of fun is just hanging the ass end out around corners with just throttle, I imagine on a well tuned 2.8 you can have that fun all day long!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:43 pm 
Gold Member

Yes you can! Did it the other day with my daughter in the car!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:24 pm 
Guru

I had a blast with my stock 2.8 when I had it, as some of you can attest to (;