G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:53 am 

Acquisition of a NOS (New Old Stock) Fiero Hood

I was fortunate to get my hands on a Brand New Fiero Hood. It's not every day you run across brand new, never mounted parts for a Fiero. I was intrigued by the artistic value of hanging this one of a kind on my wall so I had to buy it. I asked the owner how he managed to come across a new hood and he had a very interesting story that I thought I would share with you.

Here is what he wrote in an e-mail for me.

"You asked for my story of how I acquired the hood so here it is.

In 1985 or 86, GM was developing and getting ready to launch the new full size pickups. The 30 series dually version was part of that program and it had a new SMC fender extension that was bolted to the side of the pickup box to cover the wider dually tire set. The question arose late in development about how these extensions would survive in the plants' paint repair ovens since it was a fiber glass resin material and they were about 10 inches closer to the oven walls than the metal components. There was concern that the SMC might blister or pop if it got too hot which of course would damage the part and create another repair. Our group was tasked with developing a test see if this was a concern or not. Since the Fiero hood was made of the same material and in production, it was easy to order a number of hoods from which test plaques could be made. We found a local supplier who had an oven we could use and we built test racks to hold the sample plaques. After conducting a number of tests, we demonstrated that the SMC could survive the paint repair oven temperatures. At the conclusion, there were two or three hoods that were not used and undamaged but they couldn't be returned to stock, they were simply going to be thrown out. I was able to grab one and take it home. I had plans to make it wall art but never got around to doing that, plus, my wife wasn't really keen on the idea. So that is the story of how I came to own a Fiero hood that was never installed on a car or even painted.

If you have any other questions about this, please write back.

Sincerely,
Mark Zimmerman"

It was nice of Mark to make this write up as it gives an insight of some of the things that go on behind the scenes that we, the general public never get to hear about. I'm sure you have interesting stories that you have come across too that I'm sure we would all like to hear. Feel free to comment or post your stories.

Stinger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:17 pm 
wannabe

Wow great find great read!!