G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:53 pm 

anyone have any information or articles on the original performance for the 88s?

just curious to what the lateral g's were originally.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:37 pm 

Reference: Brooklands Road Test, Pontiac Fiero 1984-1988

lateral acceleration,0.83 g
Curiously it is the same for the Formula and the GT models even though the formula is ~200 lbs lighter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:25 pm 

ya, well that's a good number to base off of, it cant be too much different, probably .85 at the top end..

how much of a difference would tires have on that, because I have a slight 'suspicion' that the new rubber they have makes a huge difference..

I was just curious for arguments sake, and defending my choice to others about owning a fiero.
I know every reason in the world I own one, but still get put down by everyone else.. haha

my most valid argument is I bought mine for a quarter of their bmw and subaru wrx and its not too far back even with 88 technology.
also the potential I could get with 10 grand put into a new engine and suspension.. pretty insane, right?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:19 am 

Performance starts and ends with your tire selection. You can expect over .9g with good 180 tread ware tires. Assuming you have your suspension dialed in properly.

I'm doing a suspension re-design so that I can get 1.05g with those same tires. Hopefully I get the 1.1g's that I'd rather have but time will tell.

Aaron

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:05 pm 
Addict

A Fiero doesn't even come close to a modern BMW or Subaru WRX in terms of handling, braking, reliability, etc, so no point getting into a pissing contest about it with someone. Why not just say that you bought the car because you like the car and leave it at that? Is there really any need to explain beyond that?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:08 pm 
Guru

ya, it's like comparing the handling of their bmw to a ferrari or somethin 2 tiers up... :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:56 pm 

not necessarily a pissing contest, I dont even know how we got onto the conversation, but I know it started with paint jobs.. haha besides matte black on a sedan subbie....
I love my car and no one can convince me otherwise, I'm stuck with the sickness and im truely glad about it! I dont even think my dad's 00 vette can give me the smiles that this car has because this is MY car

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:07 pm 
Guru

agreed!
we're all in the same boat :D