G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:49 pm 

Just bought an 86GT with a clutch problem. It chatters pretty bad and slips horribly when I get on it at all. I bought the car as a project but I definitely don't have the knowledge and space to tackle a clutch replacement.

I've already purchased a clutch and just wondering if anyone knows of any Fiero friendly shops in southern Ontario, more specifically the tri-cities. (Cambridge/K-W/Guelph)

Also, does anyone with knowledge know what I can expect to pay in labour costs?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:05 am 
Fieronut

Wont lie, but it's hard finding a shop who knows these car now-a-days. I know Joe still does work on them where he works, but I don't know anyone out in your area. There's also Pete (PBJT) from London who might know someone or can do the job. I do most of the work myself in Whitby and have changed a few clutches for other people. Do you know if your cradle has ever been removed before? one of the biggest issues is the bolts holding the cradle in place. If they haven't been touched in 15-20 years, more then likely the front could be seized to the bushing sleeves and will take some time, patients and torque to get them out in one piece. The captive nuts for the rear cradle bolts like to break free with age of rust & can be a nuisance to get out. While the motor is out, check all your mounts, if they have never been replaced, it's a good time to do so. I believe PartSource still carries them for a decent price.

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:53 am 

Thanks for the quick reply.

As far as I know the cradle has never been removed. The car only has 148,000kms on it, if the odometer even works, and the underside is fairly rust free so I'm thinking the bolts might not be TOO bad.

The clutch is the worst of the issues. There's also a few gauges not working, oil leak, coolant leak. All things I never noticed/was told about when I bought it. Live and learn I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:43 am 
Fieronut

CD87 wrote:
Live and learn I guess.

That's about it, on Pennocks it more like "Buy a Fiero, learn to become a mechanic" or something along that line. :mrgreen: RockAuto can be your best friend for parts source, along with Rodney Dickman. The Fiero store I keep for a last resort. If you have any leaks on the bottom, might as well get them fixed to while the cradle is out. Depending on the shop you use, they might support the motor and just swing the cradle down to get at the transmission, or drop the whole driveline completely. Either way good time to get pictures of areas you can see for other unknowns if the shop lets you.

8-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:58 pm 

Hey, I had the clutch on my 86 GT replaced a little over a year ago at my local shop and they did a great job. It was expensive though. Here is a breakdown of what mine cost: 4 speed seal & gasket kit $50. New clutch assembly $285. Transmission oil $15. I also needed a few other things like a lower transmission mount $40. The labour was the expensive part. It was 15 hours at $80 an hour which cost $1200 plus $65 to resurface the flywheel. They are located in Waterdown which is on the hill above Hamilton if you would like their contact info. Let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:02 am 
Addict

If you want to try a shop in Cambridge you can give Hilker's auto a call. I can't gaurentee they will want to do it but they've been great with me and the work I've needed done that I can't do on my own (for all my cars). I now that my in-laws' cars there too. Honest service is invaluable. They did the work on the rear brakes on my Fiero to the car safetied for me after a caliper seized up on the test drive. They're on Industrial road in Cambridge.

The main contact there is Jack. They're a small independant shop

Hilker's Auto Service
550 Industrial Rd, Cambridge, ON N3H 4V9
519-653-4771

Again I can't gaurentee that they will want to do it, but its worth a phone call none the less. You can tell them Ryan (with the red Fiero) said to call. They will know who I am.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:18 pm 
Guru

'turning mortals into mechanics'

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:05 pm 
Fieronut

OHNIKO wrote:
'turning mortals into mechanics'

Sometime the other way around too. :lol:

8-)

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:02 am 

Hey guys. Thanks for the suggestions.

I actually met a guy at work that has a shop and has done Fiero clutches before, so my car will be going there this week.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:21 pm 
wannabe

Laugh all you want but I had my 87 gt clutch replaced at Mr Transmission in Milton (granted this was a few years back) for 1000$ all in. They had it done in one day, were excited to work on a fiero, and took care of a few oil leaks (I think main seal I cant remember) while in there.

I only drove the car for a few more years after that before selling it, but it felt great and had no reason to believe it was going to give any trouble.