G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storage
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:45 am 
Addict

OK last year I kept my car in my "garage" on blocks because I was working on it bit by bit over the winter.

This winter it will just be in sleep mode, no real work until the spring (at least there shouldn't be). I've never really properly stored a car before, what's on the to-do list other than a fuel anti-freeze treatment, a full tank of gas an a battery maintainer?

I don't really want to leave the car in my garage over winter again. The driveway isn't sloped properly and the door doesn't seal right at the bottom, so at the tail end of last year when I went to the car for the first time in 2 months there was about an inch of ice under 3/4 of the car :shock: My car has very little rust and I want to keep it that way so I'm thinking of trying to find a better storage location for Nov to March or April. How long do you typically store if you're not storing it in your garage at home?

Post subject: Re: Storage
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:46 pm 
Single again

I've always just kept my cars n the garage with a full tank of gas + fuel stabilizer. As far as how long you store it, that's up to you. My old next door neighbour used to have his put away in November and then brought it back out in May. My rule of thumb is I put it away before the snow flies, and then bring it back out when I think it's safe that we won't get any snow. I did get burned this year though and ended up with it covered in snow in April :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:58 pm 
Fieronut

few friends of mine go by a simple rule. As soon as salt is laid on the road, car goes away & doesn't come back out till the spring weather has washed away the remainder of the road salt. They watch the weather for overnight freezing, good sign road salt will be out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:11 am 
Addict

Ya I followed that rule last year as well. Was just wondering about if there are other special things I need to do or not. Do you guys pull your batteries, disconnect them or plug them in?

Looking up the prices of storage around me I will probably be keeping the car at home again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:36 pm 
Single again

I've heard arguments on both sides for taking it out or leaving it in. Personally I leave my in and put my battery tender on it. That way in the spring I don't have to redo all my radio settings!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:49 pm 
Guru

I remove mine, & store it in the basement over winter...4 the car itself, I also plug the tailpipes (critters), wash & dust cover/tarp it, this year i'm parking it over a plastic vapour barrier sheet too. I top up all fluids, add fuel stabilizer, rust spray any prone areas (i.e batt tray), locks, latches etc, vacuum the interior/wash & detail it. I jack it up off the wheels, inflate all tires to 38psi or so...i'm sure i'm forgetting some stuff...where's my checklist :ugeek:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:26 am 
Addict

Oil change, wash, wax & vacuum (everywhere!), fuel stabilizer, full tank of gas, drive to storage, disconnect the battery and leave it in the car. I've heard mixed things about taking load off the tires. Never though have had a problem. And finally the the big one - begin dreaming of next spring :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:32 am 
Addict

Ry86GT wrote:
Looking up the prices of storage around me I will probably be keeping the car at home again.

Where are you located (fill in the location tab). If Stoney Creek is at all convenient, some of us on here store ours at a great place which financially is also a great deal. There's presently a waiting list, but you never know. PM me and I'll give you the contact info.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:18 am 
Addict

I'm probably the worst to answer. But I drive it and park it. Nothing special.
Even when I parked it for 4 years there was nothing special done to it other than park on a tarp in one of those car shelters.... but over those 4 years I did have critters living inside the cabin, came in through the heater box.

Last winter I was planning on working on it, so I had it jacked up. Battery and tires stored in my storage space in the basement. Tarp on the car, under the car cover, and some cardboard specially propped up on the decklid to keep the snow/water/ice buildup to a minimum.

No special fluid changes, or stabilizers added. I drove mine to my parents' last weekend with the intent that it was going to be parked in their driveway with a tarp and cover like last winter. Turns out my dad has a better plan of parking it in the garage with my brothers Triumph. Car cover will be on it all winter, don't think I'll pull the battery though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:36 pm 
Addict

Thanks for the tips guys. Tarp under mine isn't good because my garage is a POS. It's a stretch to even call it a garage LOL.

I'll fill out the location thing, but I'm in Cambridge. My bro is moving to St. Catherine's in april, hoping to store in his garage with his bike next year, he just doesn't know it yet :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:34 pm 
Addict

also spray the frame, floors, suspension with rust check or something similar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:34 pm 

Hmm.. Good suggestions here.

I have the intention to do what most of you stated.

What I was thinking of doing was starting up the Fiero every 3rd week and running it for a bit. What are your thoughts on this?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:05 pm 
Single again

Starting the car up occasionally during the winter months can do more harm than good. If you start it up and let it run for a while, condensation can form on the internals (engine and exhaust) and if you don't let it run long enough, that moisture will pool and could lead to rust. If you are going to start it, you need to make sure it gets up to full operating temperature before shutting it down.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:32 pm 

mmm..I feel skeptical leaving it over winter without firing' her up once. But, if you guys can do it, I can do it! :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:24 pm 
wannabe

If your garage is crap and storage places are too expensive, you can try to rent a spot from someone on kijiji or craigslist.
http://guelph.kijiji.ca/c-real-estate-storage-parking-South-End-of-Guelph-Parking-Spot-for-Rent-or-purchase-W0QQAdIdZ504980785

All the things ppl suggest here are great ideas.
I put moth balls all up in there, over inflate the tires and put fuel stabilizer in a full tank.

In regards to removing the battery, my old man always said that you need to keep it in because it puts a small current thru the body and prevents rust.
I leave mine in and put the charger on to top it off and start it up every month.