G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:41 pm 
Single again

Lunatic wrote:
Cameron, to make Fiero oil changes easier in the future, buy an oil filter relocation kit. Real easy to locate the filter to a "more suitable" area. If an oil filter fails, the pass-through valve opens and it just doesn't filter any more. You won't see/know anything is wrong. I won't comment on the quality of Fram but you be your own judge. Take the Fram oil filter apart. Remove the end cap and pull all the filtering composite out and inspect thoroughly. If you see the screen captured all contaminants, and nothing made it through the other side, then I'd say the filter did it's job.

That's a great idea, pretty sure it's going to be on my list of things to do next spring when I have the engine dropped for the cam install. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:46 pm 
Addict

where is this available?
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:53 am 
Single again

dorai wrote:
where is this available?
Thanks

Any local speed shop can set you up with an oil filter relocation kit. They're not that expensive either. Or, you can sit in the comfort of your own home and shop naked on-line at http://www.summitracing.com/int/search/part-type/oil-filter-relocation-kits or http://www.jegs.com/c/Oil-System_Oil-Fi ... 7/10002/-1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:40 am 
Fieronut

Mine's not so bad to get at, same place as the 2.8L but that relocation package would make mine even easier.

As for frame filters, I always use them. As much as people give them the thumbs down, tear down report and all other crap, I don't exceed 5000km's on a filter and had no problems what so ever. I really like them for the grip head, easier to remove. The regular frame filter is one everyone bashes, when I go to the states, I stock up on the toughguard series now. The internals are a big improvement over stock replacement. I haven't been able to find the toughguard series up here lately which is my preference.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:41 am 
Fieronut

Lunatic wrote:
Or, you can sit in the comfort of your own home and shop naked on-line

Are these words of experience? :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:02 pm 
Single again

Two days into the weekend and actually got 2 things done so far! Finally got around to replacing the blower motor with the new one I got from Rock Auto over the winter. IIRC I paid something like $15 for it on one of their close-out sales. If anybody is interested in a noisy but functional blower motor let me know, otherwise I'll pitch it into the garbage next week. For the first time since I've owned this car I had a 20 minute job that actually took 20 minutes!!

Before (complete with bits of flying debris on high setting)

http://youtu.be/XTUNHlX30nM

After

http://youtu.be/ANTkgIZpavE

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:39 pm 
Fieronut

netcam wrote:
Two days into the weekend and actually got 2 things done so far! Finally got around to replacing the blower motor with the new one I got from Rock Auto over the winter. IIRC I paid something like $15 for it on one of their close-out sales. If anybody is interested in a noisy but functional blower motor let me know, otherwise I'll pitch it into the garbage next week. For the first time since I've owned this car I had a 20 minute job that actually took 20 minutes!!

Before (complete with bits of flying debris on high setting)

http://youtu.be/XTUNHlX30nM

After

http://youtu.be/ANTkgIZpavE

I learned to buy a blower from a blazer from now on. My old 96 blazer had the same style of blower that started squealing. GM finally got smart somewhere and drilled a small hole in the housing so you can grease the bearing. They just cover it up with tape. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:05 pm 
Single again

Thought there might be a way to lube one of those things which is why I offered it up to anybody who might be able to fix it. I tried spraying some grease where the shaft meets the motor but that didn't do any good at all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:52 pm 
Single again

Finally got around to installing the last of the plugs yesterday. Getting the alternator out of the way wasn't so bad once I figured out there are 3 bolts holding it in place :lol: . Actually was easier to get back in than the stock alternator was on the 2.8L.

I don't think these plugs had been changed in a while

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:09 pm 
Single again

Replaced the flaky belt tensioner. Fingers crossed I won't be losing more belts anytime soon!

Tensioner-bracket/used to be an alternator bracket now dog bone and coil pack mount

Oooooh.... Shiny :D

Actually thought about painting it but then figured it would just draw even more attention to the generally blah condition of the rest of the motor.....

Took it out for a spin and it started overheating really really fast. I guess that small amount of coolant I lost when it overheated and when I took the bracket off made a big difference. There was coolant leaking down around where the hose meets the solid line going up to the rad. Appears the line has been crushed a bit from somebody that doesn't know how to jack up a Fiero. If that line gets badly damaged, what have people been doing to replace it? At least I'm really hoping that drip came down from where the hose meets the line and I don't have a pin hole there.

Last edited by netcam on Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:01 pm 
Single again

Well I didn't do this to my Fiero, but I did it for my Fiero. Got a couple of coats of paint on my replacement calipers. I've had a dragging right front caliper since last fall and it can't wait until I can decide how I want to go long term for a brake upgrade. Besides, these things were dirt cheap at Rock Auto.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:23 am 
Guru

gr8 paint job!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:10 pm 
Single again

Today I replaced my backup camera. I actually think this one is much better quality than the old one and it only cost around $25. Seems I'm the only one doing anything to my car.... what are the rest of you doing, driving them or something??? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:44 pm 

I will be painting mine shortly. 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:29 pm 
Fieronut

I recognize that USB power supply hiding in the corner not showing the other regular plug ;)

Camera look nice, one day I'll have one installed too. ;)

8-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 20  Next