G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:10 pm 
Single again

Coppertop_01 wrote:
Started painting last night........I feel like beating somebody right now, when I bought the paint I clearly asked (and sent a pic) how much paint do you think this would require, they told me one quart was more than enough, I was second guessing this but ultimately went with how much they told me.........wrong, I'm almost half a quart in and I'm nearly done the subframes. I'm thinking that I might have just enough to paint the bottom of the car, now I gotta order more and play the waiting game with a bare metal chassis.

Jer

I'm sorry to hear about your "paint issues". Do you think it would've been cost effective to send the entire space frame out for powder coat instead? I send little stuff out all the time and the pricing seems okay. Are you using POR15 for the paint? After the paint, you'll be flying on the assembly. Everything has a reason they say.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:56 pm 
wannabe

Got it all painted today, I wasn't going to sit around for paint to ship, so I did some searching and found a local supplier who had "chassis saver" paint in stock, unfortunately it's gloss black, but right now I don't care, it's painted and I couldn't be happier. Check out the blog for pics, sorry I'm on my iPad and I don't know how to save picture url's from the blogger page. If I remember I'll post them up on Sunday or Monday, right now I'm having a celebration whiskey and going to sleep, this ginger is tired as hell

Jer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:50 am 
wannabe

Lunatic wrote:
Coppertop_01 wrote:
Started painting last night........I feel like beating somebody right now, when I bought the paint I clearly asked (and sent a pic) how much paint do you think this would require, they told me one quart was more than enough, I was second guessing this but ultimately went with how much they told me.........wrong, I'm almost half a quart in and I'm nearly done the subframes. I'm thinking that I might have just enough to paint the bottom of the car, now I gotta order more and play the waiting game with a bare metal chassis.

Jer

I'm sorry to hear about your "paint issues". Do you think it would've been cost effective to send the entire space frame out for powder coat instead? I send little stuff out all the time and the pricing seems okay. Are you using POR15 for the paint? After the paint, you'll be flying on the assembly. Everything has a reason they say.

Powdercoating was and always is an option, but in my case it isn't a stock vehicle and I don't know what else I may have to drill/tap, weld, or modify on the frame, getting it powdercoated would ensure that there was no way I could touch up the paint in those area's without making it look like its been touched up. As for all the smaller parts they ultimately will be powdercoated but until I've had the car tested and I know everything works on the road and doesn't break then I'll get they coated.

Here's the pic of the painted car

Jer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:50 am 
Single again

Cooooooooool :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:49 pm 
Single again

I test fit the Ecotec onto my home made cradle. Then installed it into the car for a "clearance check". It fits well I must say! So much clearance around it and everything is easily accessible. I have the engine mounts finalized in my head. I'll whip them up as soon as I can. At this point, I can still keep the full size trunk too! I'll make my own header when the time comes.
PS-As you'll notice, I chose to install my engine "straight up" rather than tilted (at 10°) as GM did in the Cavalier.
PSS-Don't mind the sad looking engine or engine bay. It'll all be taken care of over the winter.

Last edited by Lunatic on Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:59 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:58 pm 
Guru

U GUYS amaze me, I'm no where near to that level of artistry, but man, me likes it!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:25 pm 

What niko said! this is some deep feiro loving going on guys. atleast i'll get to bond with mine too, i've been meaning to replace my suspension system and the clutch/slave cylinder. meaning to get suspension with a more sporty feel, 27 years old...its time for a replacement. speaking of that!, do you comrades of the fiero have suggestions? boss, etc

let's just say...i don't want to rely on my brakes too much. :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:22 pm 
Single again

OHNIKO wrote:
U GUYS amaze me, I'm no where near to that level of artistry, but man, me likes it!

Thanks for the kind words. Myself and Coppertop are both blessed because we have full access to a CNC laser, CNC brake, AutoCAD, etc. So building things is quite easy. If you look at the first post of this topic, I built a "simple" cradle. (I'll post measurements later on.) That way, others can follow if needed. I like to help other people when I can. I guess I'm always "paying it forward".

CanadianClassic wrote:
What niko said! this is some deep feiro loving going on guys. atleast i'll get to bond with mine too, i've been meaning to replace my suspension system and the clutch/slave cylinder. meaning to get suspension with a more sporty feel, 27 years old...its time for a replacement. speaking of that!, do you comrades of the fiero have suggestions? boss, etc

let's just say...i don't want to rely on my brakes too much. :D

It's interesting how we become attached to our cars, isn't it? Always wanting to change, modify, recreate, etc. We don't think of ourselves as pioneers. We prefer "craftsman". Or is it craftsmen? Anyhow, there are many threads dedicated to handling improvements on the Fiero. Pennock's Fiero forum is quite large and has more members. I'm sure you could read threads until your eyes become blood shot!
Yes, a 27 year old suspension would be very tired and non-compliant to driver input. At the very least, once you rebuild your "stock suspension", and get a decent alignment, you'll be on your way to a better handling Fiero. Factory 84-87 cars weren't that bad at handling when new. (Although some claim bump steer was horrendous, I never thought it was "unsafe".) Good struts, sway bars and a proper alignment do go a long way. Again, my preference will differ from the next guy. While the 88 was had a "better suspension", I would recommend installing at least the rear cradle (with coil overs) into an older (84-87) car. Provided you can find a good one. You can still do lots with the stock front suspension. Unless you want to go balls out, you can modify anything to fit anywhere if you want to! Corvette suspension on a Fiero? Easy enough. The list goes on, you get the point.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:31 am 

Checked all fluids and checked power steering for loose nuts.Made up new extension for the new steering wheel .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:49 pm 
wannabe

Fiero265 what steering rack is that? I'm looking for something new and that's looking pretty good to me

Jer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:07 am 
Guru

fiero265 wrote:
Checked all fluids and checked power steering for loose nuts.Made up new extension for the new steering wheel .

AH YES, another Fiero artistic craftsman!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:34 am 

Thanks Niko
Jer it is off a 95 Corvette .There is 2 types 2 turn and 2 1/4 turns.I am using a electric hydraulic pump for the steering.

Leo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:31 am 
wannabe

Do you know if they make them fully manual? I've got the electric assist with no need for hydro assist lines.

Two turn is pretty tight, I think the flaming river stuff is 3 or 4 turn

Thanks for the input, I'll check them out with the fbody stuff

Jer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:11 pm 
wannabe

Started final assembly on the newly painted parts today, got my 88 front subframe and upper coilover mounts bolted in, nothing big but it's a start and I should have the front suspension all installed in a couple days, will post up a quick update and pics on the blog.

Jeremy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:49 am 
Single again

I whipped up these cool looking instrument panel and gauge pod clusters.
I chose 1/8" aluminum for the material but I may switch to brushed stainless.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next