G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:20 pm 

This looks like a great opportunity to renew the captured nuts for the rear cradle mounts. :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:57 am 

Finished e brake set up

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:53 pm 
Addict

That looks great!
I've never really looked or asked - so I will now.
What's with the extra pad bit at the top of the rotor? I see that on some of the big brake upgrades ('vette).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:22 pm 

Thanks
with vet brake up grade the vet calipers don't have e brakes.
The extra caliper is from willwood that is mod to fit vet rotors .

Leo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:17 pm 
Addict

I got both the '86 and the '88 started. I still have not taken them out of the garage. I even got a set of license plates for the '86. One of these days when it is not so cold I will go out and clean them up and drive them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:43 am 
wannabe

Nice brake setup, I was going to do something similar with mine but I was talking to a few guys (drifters) who run a second hydro hand brake to the rears and there are valves out there to allow using a second master to the same caliper, I was thinking of adapting this for use as an emergency brake......now as for legal, I'm not too sure, but then is my build really that legal? I probably should look into it.....

Jer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:00 am 

Hydraulic E-brake is technically not legal anywhere in north america, but, mechanically superior in every way, even in regards to reliability (assuming you do a good job with the install). However as long as you can pull the handle and have the brakes lock, a road side test will go well.

This is what I plan to do with my rear brakes, mostly because all the newer cars have undersized rears (because of ABS) so I have to install fronts in the rear to get the right ratios. That being said; to make sure I have the right feel I'm also installing a stiff spring in the system to make sure it feels right. If it doesn't feel right I'll remove it.

Aaron

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:17 am 
Single again

I'm not sure of the exact wording of the law on a hydraulic ebrake, but pretty sure the reasoning is that it has to be mechanical is so it will work in the event of a hydraulic failure. If the mechanism were on its own system, separate from the main brakes, it should be legal IMHO.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:14 pm 

I changed the slave cylinder... 8-)

thinking i'd need to get a mechanic to fix it. nay!

* I've had a "problem" switching to reverse, getting a "crunch" when it engages. Solved that problem with google. neutral> shift into reverse bracket, then shift up (4spd) into reverse. What I did was all in one continuous motion, so something was spinning whilst i engaged, getting that crunch.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:17 pm 
Single again

I started to install the 88 cradle into my 84. This is not a bolt-in affair but it's pretty easy to do. Some frame notching, welding, elongation of a few holes and a little patience is all it takes. As you can see, I have the cradle bolted into place using the factory bolt hole locations. I left the locating stud intact and measured side to side and fore & aft. You can see the gap that I need to fill in. But that's at a later date.
Here's a few pictures for today.

Driver's side inner. You'll notice the gap. Here I must install 2" tubing, or "C" channel, to take up the gap and provide support at this point.
I'm going to close the gap here so it looks nicer. Just like how the factory would've installed it!
Installed with four (out of eight) factory bolt locations.

Last edited by Lunatic on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:39 am 
Addict

Haven't done anything to the Fiero yet... But I am on the train to London so i can drive the Fiero back home.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:40 am 
Single again

On May 03, I acquired a T-top space frame from another member on here. Since I already have the roof off my current project, there's no better time than now to install the T-tops! This will add one more element of "coolness" to my build. Woot woot! Don't worry, pictures to follow as soon as I get to that point.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:49 pm 
Addict

CanadianClassic wrote:
I changed the slave cylinder... 8-)

thinking i'd need to get a mechanic to fix it. nay!

* I've had a "problem" switching to reverse, getting a "crunch" when it engages. Solved that problem with google. neutral> shift into reverse bracket, then shift up (4spd) into reverse. What I did was all in one continuous motion, so something was spinning whilst i engaged, getting that crunch.

What was spinning is the friction disc, old clutch hydraulics

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:45 pm 
Fieronut

Now that I have room to work in my "shop" again, I had the GT up on all four corners, rotated the tires and went looking for my "bump" steer I get while driving down the road or make left hand turns. Rear right ball joint went on me. I didn't see if first time I was looking a month ago, ball joint seems fine in any horizontal movement but when I used a crow bar I got some good vertical movement. :shock: Had it changed with just enough time to clean myself up before storage closed, have to go back and clean up tools another day.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:20 am 
Single again

I started the installation of the T-top roof assembly. Note: The T-top roof that I used came off a parts car. With having said that, the old steel framing, sheet metal, etc had to be removed prior to reassembly.

Last edited by Lunatic on Sat May 10, 2014 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next