G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:12 pm 

Hey Guys,

Bought this 1988 Fiero GT 120,000 km, one owner. Canadian car. Automatic. Toke a couple of photos to share to see whether the rust is a problem or its just surface rust. Again the car is not with me at the moment.

Pics: http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/johnp ... t=3&page=1

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:04 am 
Single again

Welcome to the forum!

It "looks okay" for a Canadian car. If it was my car, I'd remove the plastic splash shields from the wheel wells and take a real good look. Especially the frame rails and such. For the rest of the "surface" rust, I'd be inclined to remove all the old seam sealer, inspect those areas and reapply new sealer. Remember, rust is like an iceberg, you only see the tip of it! Piece of mind knowing it's solid is worth it's weight in gold. I believe in safe cars. I've seen too many botched repair jobs on Fieros!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:55 am 
Fieronut

Is this the 88 that went from about $4000 down to $2500? Was watching that car waiting to see how low it would go. If I was still working, I would have snatched it up. :( It doesn't look too bad from the pictures you posted but there are other areas you just have to feel to see if there is cancer. Upper rails in front of the springs are the big issue.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:38 am 

x-thumpr-x wrote:
Is this the 88 that went from about $4000 down to $2500? Was watching that car waiting to see how low it would go. If I was still working, I would have snatched it up. :( It doesn't look too bad from the pictures you posted but there are other areas you just have to feel to see if there is cancer. Upper rails in front of the springs are the big issue.

hey xthumprx

the 1 i have is a burgundy fiero gt that was listed on kijiji, never knew it was listed for 4000 before..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:21 pm 
Fieronut

alex360 wrote:
x-thumpr-x wrote:

hey xthumprx

the 1 i have is a burgundy fiero gt that was listed on kijiji, never knew it was listed for 4000 before..

Think I first noticed the car up for sale in late spring. Every two months it had a lower price. When he posted again for $2500, I was sooo pissed I got laid off the week or two before! The price was just right to go and look at the car and maybe haggle a little more. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:52 pm 

Hey x-thumpr-x,

i found the pic of the fiero i bought, that was posted on the ad.

https://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C1PRF ... B300%3B225

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:32 pm 
Single again

If I had seen it at $2,500 I would have at the very least gone and checked it out. One night when we're both free we'll take a run up to Brampton and have a good look at it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:42 pm 
Fieronut

alex360 wrote:
Hey x-thumpr-x,

i found the pic of the fiero i bought, that was posted on the ad.

https://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C1PRF ... B300%3B225

That's the car, other picture of it was in some parking lot by a chain link fence.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:17 pm 

yes that was the one, parked near a chain link fence.

Also the car is now located in a storage faculty in Georgetown. The car will be out in April, anyone that would like to take a look is welcomed.

thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:18 pm 
Addict

Quick way to check rear upper frame rails is to stick your hand in towards the top of the struts and reach up you should feel the frame right there. If it is rusty or not there at all then you have some work to do.