G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:27 pm 
Single again

Anybody see these? If they're as good as they look in the pictures, I'm really thinking about getting a pair. Shipping cost to Canada is, as always with TFS, f@%*ing ridiculous, so I'd be shipping them to Lewiston and picking them up there.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/068220.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:35 pm 
Creator of the SBC Fiero

Yep saw them on pennocks. Thankfully the 88 has a door speakers installed or I'd be tempted to get them.

On a side note, with what seems like a slow market it's really excellent that they took the time to develop a new product that looks good to boot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:12 am 
Addict

Those do look quite nice. You may want to budget to recover them as the straight ABS might be a bit too plastic looking.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:53 pm 
wannabe

Very interesting, I was thinking of mod'ding a couple different panels together for the project car, but those are pretty sweet and the leg work has been done already.

Jer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:02 pm 
Single again

I'm really tempted to order a set of these, it will probably be quite a while before we start to see the reviews come in. Already running through my head how to finish them, what speakers to buy, and how to wire them up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:18 am 
Addict

If done with some creativity the dash locations aren't really that bad. You could do a good separates combination using those locations and these panels.

Keep in mind though without cutting into the doors behind the speaker (as they say can be done on that pennocks thread) the bass will be choked out a bit unless the drivers are designed to work well with very little space behind them. Even then it will be a compromise. Some framework to attach the drivers to the door as well as the panel would greatly help reduce cancellation and vibrations. Dynomat wouldn't hurt too. The extra work up front will be worth it in the long run.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:31 pm 
Single again

I don't know a whole lot about setting up a sound system, but I think mine could be better. I have 5 1/4" with tweeters up front, which sound pretty decent, but my headrest speakers, which I'm sure most would agree are mediocre at best, are muffled by my pleather seat covers. I'm thinking something down in the doors would be good, plus the carpet on my door panels is pretty tired and in need of some sort of refresh. Any suggestions from those much closer to the 'audiophile' designation would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:09 pm 
Addict

In the end it comes down to what sounds good for you, so I can only give you my opinion on it. I wouldn't bother with the headrest speakers - the only speakers I've installed behind the front seats in any car I've owned has been subs (that includes when I was in the business and competed in IASCA events in the early 90s). They just drag the image back when it should be in front of you. You're better off building something solid up front and tweaking that.

As for the sound staging, you could experiment with tweeter angles on those separates. We used to point the right tweeter directly at the driver (or as direct as possible) and the left at the passenger which would give good on-axis on the far tweeter and reduced level off-axis on the nearer tweeter. Staging is always improved when the distance between the listener and each left/right driver is as equal as possible, and this helps this happen a bit.

Also using time alignment features on a lot of the newer head units makes a big difference to get the stage even left to right. Another thing we used to do is mess with phasing or polarity of the drivers. Sometimes causing a misphase can help the staging.

Adding those door speakers would definitely help with midbass and pulling the stage down from the windshield. And with that you could high pass those dash mids which would reduce them trying to reproduce the lower frequencies.

Either do a true 3 way system with midbasses in the doors and what you have, or go with good coaxes in the doors and use the dash speakers to add fill at the top of the sound stage.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:47 pm 
Single again

What I was thinking was to disconnect the headrest speakers and extend the wiring into the doors to run the 6.5s

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:47 am 

have a set of these and the quality is very good !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:11 pm 
Guru

maybe a group buy?