G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:26 am 

Hi everyone. Havent been here for awhile. Just got an 85 a few weeks ago and I am looking for car insurance options. I used to be with a company years ago, but their policies have changed. I paid 1600 for it and I believe it would be appraised maybe about 2000 roughly. Seems your car has to be worth at least 5000 for them to insure you. I will only be driving it in the summer months and was just curious if anyone could point me in the right direction. I want to enjoy driving it on the road this year, but insurance options are just so overwhelming and I thought that someone may be able to help me out. Maybe if someone can email me personally since discussing insurance companies may not be appropriate in the post. I am not sure. Can anyone help me out? I would like to go on cruises with everyone and shows as well, like I did before...Any help is greatly appreciated...Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:00 pm 
Addict

Call Lant Ins.agents Phone 1-905-640-4111
They are the agents for Haggerty the insurance company that do all old cars in the states.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:46 pm 
wannabe

I called Lant and gave them all the information on the 87 GT I was planning to buy. They said I'd have to send some photos in, and they couldn't do anything until I owned the car regardless. So I arranged to have the car transported to me, took some photos, and they said they said they couldn't insure it due to mileage. I was pretty pissed, since they had the mileage figures before I bought the car and didn't raise an issue then (and the previous owner was insured through Lant as well).

There is another broker I was speaking to, but they need an actual appraisal, and a value >$5000. I may do that next year after I do some restoration work.

My previous insurance company (Belair) cut me off when I said "1987". They don't care what car, what condition, or what you're using it for. They won't insure anything older than 1995.

I ended up calling TD, getting a quote to switch my home, and all three cars (including the Fiero) to them. The Fiero is insured as a regular vehicle, but their rates are much better than I had with Belair previously, so adding the Fiero made an insignificant change to my insurance premiums (granted -- going to a classic rate would cut that down).

However, I had some trouble actually getting TD to honour the quote they sent me. I ended up having to argue my case, and had to wait two days for the issue to be escalated. So I'm not sure how great they'll be in the long run either. The guy I dealt with on the phone was excellent, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:46 pm 
Addict

Call Lant again. Tell them that all the members of the club are insured with them. I just insured my '86 with them in April of this year. You should call again I am sure that they will give you Insurance.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:03 pm 
Fieronut

I'm with Lant and my GT has close to 380,000kms on the car. In order to get classic/ custom car insurance with them, you must have a full "G" license for 10 years and you own another car in your name as a daily driver.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:09 pm 
wannabe

x-thumpr-x wrote:
I'm with Lant and my GT has close to 380,000kms on the car. In order to get classic/ custom car insurance with them, you must have a full "G" license for 10 years and you own another car in your name as a daily driver.

I meet the G license and other vehicle bullet points. The Fiero at the time had 282000km on it.

I was told, (and this is a direct quote from my email with them) "All vehicles under our plan must have less than 140,000km and a value of more than $7500."

When I followed-up indicating that the previous owner was insured with them, I was told:

"We’ve had a lot of policy changes in 2013 and this was one rule they came down very hard on us. So if the previous owner had a policy with us (and had one for a few years) this may not have been an issue. For any new business/policies we have to follow their underwriting criteria."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:28 pm 
Addict

In April this year I insured my '86 with 240000 kms. they never gave me a hard time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:33 pm 
Addict

I'm with TD also, preferred group through my employer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:33 am 
Addict

Look up Eschelon insurance - basically the same type of insurance as Silver Wheels and they are a bit more flexible with the "shows only" driving rule. They also have a $5000 plus value rule but most appraisers overdo it anyway. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:54 pm 

just got my insurance yesterday with hagerty classic cars $206 for the year with road side assistant. must apply and be accepted only restriction was 5000 kms per year. when I talked with the agent I told them I wanted to be able to drive the car out for supper with my wife and when I wanted to go for a drive any time. they wanted picture of whole car 10 pictures , copy of ownership with my name on it. storage type. had to tell all driver and vehicles they drive daily. when the insurance agent gave me the price I had to ask what the catch was and restriction. she said 5000 kms per year that is what the limit is to be considered pleasure.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:03 pm 

After paying about $500 a summer for countless years, a friend told me about LANT. Insurance is now $100 for a full year, so no more hassles starting and cancelling it every year. The only stipulation that I found a little intrusive was that the car is not covered in parking lots of malls or big box stores. So it really is just cruising insurance, but seeing as I don't put more than 500km on my car yearly, it was the only reasonable option.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:15 pm 

fierogirl85 wrote:
Hi everyone. Havent been here for awhile. Just got an 85 a few weeks ago and I am looking for car insurance options. I used to be with a company years ago, but their policies have changed. I paid 1600 for it and I believe it would be appraised maybe about 2000 roughly. Seems your car has to be worth at least 5000 for them to insure you. I will only be driving it in the summer months and was just curious if anyone could point me in the right direction. I want to enjoy driving it on the road this year, but insurance options are just so overwhelming and I thought that someone may be able to help me out. Maybe if someone can email me personally since discussing insurance companies may not be appropriate in the post. I am not sure. Can anyone help me out? I would like to go on cruises with everyone and shows as well, like I did before...Any help is greatly appreciated...Thanks

Try CAA for Home and Auto Insurance, or get the appraisal done and insure with Lant.