It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:08 pm 
Single again

9:30 -

10:00

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:04 pm 
Creator of the SBC Fiero

Holy f#ck ....most importantly....are you ok?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:11 pm 
Creator of the SBC Fiero

We managed to pull the rest of the group over a couple km down the road but no one had your cell #... the whole group sends their well wishes. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:19 pm 
Fieronut

:o :o :cry:

Damn, always hear about this, sad when its a friend. Hope you're o.k. and trying to take this with a grain of salt. Heard your motor knocking as you drove by. Know luck. :-(

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:24 pm 
Single again

Knock came out of nowhere, thought best to head home and figure out what it was. Only made it a mile or two and I smelled smoke. You know how it ended.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:22 pm 
Addict

That's brutal..... sorry to hear that your SECOND engine was a lemon too. Calling this bad luck is an understatement.. Glad that you are OK

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:29 pm 

That's not cool at all!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:29 pm 
Addict

Glad no one was hurt.
What I don't get is the first engine yes was assembled wrong with different valve springs and the fly wheel was way out of balance to the point it was tossed out. This led to it spinning a couple rod bearings and knocking quite loudly.
Second engine was stock untouched other then some new gaskets and ran well for many miles then started knocking.
There really is not much external on an engine that will cause this most thing are internal like a bad rod, failing oil pump some thing that causes metal filings that quickly spread and destroy the engine.
Did the engine still have full power when the knocking started or was power dropping off, with it knocking only thing I can think of is a rod through the block or some thing spewing hot oil that ignited but even that does not always lead to a fire.
If it was not for the knock mentioned I would suspect a fuel injector O ring let go or an electrical fire both of which the 3800 cars have been known for as well as the valve cover gaskets leaking and causing a fire but the ones on this engine were new and the new kind.
Again glad no one was hurt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:21 pm 
Single again

I smelled something that seemed 'electrical'. The knock was strange because it was only there at very light acceleration. If I let up on the gas or gave it a bit, the noise went away. After about a mile it did start to buck, but more like it was missing than anything else. That's when I noticed the smell. By the time I got the car pulled over the cabin had started to fill with smoke coming from the area of the PCM, but I think it was coming in through the firewall. I popped the rear decklid and I could see small flames between the front manifold and the firewall, right around the shift cables. Unfortunately I didn't have anything to throw on the flames to see if I could put them out, but then again it may not have done any good. I don't think we'll ever know what the cause was, there's little left of the car, it burnt right up to the windshield. All the windows broke from the heat, and the interior is completely gone, nothing left but the frames of the seats. If I'm able to get anything off it the only things I can think of that would be salvageable would be the front rims and tires, front springs, and the headlight motors.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:25 pm 
wannabe

That's so disappointing! It seemed like it was running well when I saw you last week.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:30 pm 
Addict

Soooo sorry to see this Cam. You've put a lot of time, effort and money into the car.

But you're okay, so you can take those experiences onto another one when you feel the need.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:36 pm 
wannabe

Glad your OK Cam, this was a sad day indeed. I feel you pain, I put a lot of work/time into my swap so I can understand how upsetting this day would be.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:14 am 
Addict

How many KM did you put on this engine before it blew up?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:39 am 
Addict

Oh man! That sucks on so many levels.

At least no one was injured. It could have been so much worse.

Everyone. Spend $40 on a fire extinguisher!

1991 Beretta GTZ W-41 Quad 4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:14 pm 
Guru

So sorry to hear and see this cam. When you turned off I could hear a noise from the back end and thought maybe your exhaust had some issue. I wasn't sure if you were going to stop, it didn't seem like it so we pulled off a little further up. I did see some rising smoke off I the distance but never thought this would have Happened! We were all sad about it and no one had your cell. Most importantly is that you are okay.