Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: uh oh, what to do?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:23 pm 
Guru

well,

Dave & I were going over my 1985 silver fastback project with the L67 in it
and it looks like the rear frame rails have rusted a fair amount in the last couple of years or so, so I'm not sure what to do with the car now...

The rest of the car (front, middle etc) is quite decent, and i'll be removing the rear clip, wheel liners, etc to take a much closer look at the back end...

I think it'd be a shame to strip/scrap the whole car if the rust is just on the frame rails no?
but if its spread to the strut towers etc, I'm just not sure...

how big of a job is it to R & R the rails?
(I already have a replacement driver's side, but would also need a passenger side rail fabricated too)...are they mirror images of each other?
who from here could fabricate?

opinions, opinions, please.

Post subject: Re: uh oh, what to do?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:21 am 
Single again

Repairing rust can suck. It's like an iceberg, you only see the tip but there's more underneath. I'm going through this now and it's not that bad. I'll post all my progress as soon as I can. You can follow along if you like and I'll show you how I'm repairing it. I do have a set of spare, usable frame rails that were cut off another car if you need them. They're going to need a little work but are pretty solid. The rest is just sheet metal and that's the easy part. Lets see some pictures once the back end comes off and I'll offer some more guidance from there. You have several options.

Last edited by Lunatic on Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:07 pm 
Addict

"Easy" is all relative to one's skills and experience. For example, I have the skills to machine a forging die to make a camshaft. I have the skills to put the rough cam on a grinder and grind the lobes to finished size to within 5 microns. However, I don't have a clue how to CHANGE the camshaft in my car and would likely screw it up :)

Nick, there are plenty of rust free 88 Fieros in the southern US. The suspension is much nicer to drive on, and the time and hassle you will spend on battling rust will likely be more expensive than the shipping cost to bring a car here. I brought back a white 88 GT from Miami and had it dropped off in Detroit for $850

Up to you, but I would personally recommend finding a rust free car instead of spending tons of time on trying to fix rust. Remember, your time is worth X number of dollars per hour, that could be spent on something more enjoyable like customizing the car, other hobbies, etc. Grinding rust, cutting your hands open, having crap fall in your eyes and hair, learning how to weld, scrambling to find someone to help you with lasercut, bending, etc... It is a lot of hassle!

Just my 2 cents

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:09 am 
Creator of the SBC Fiero

You can also build them out of 2 x 2 stainless. A buddy of mine did it for me, but after finding out labour and time involved I did exactly what Pete is saying a d got two rust free 88s from stateside for my next two cars.

Chassis come up on a regular basis in the last 6 months there was a cheap rust free 88 roller in detroit and an 86 on here.

Knowing the process and other spots these rust the only cars I would do rails on from now on is an Indy or my supercharged 88 because it would take longer to swap all the custom work on it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:06 pm 

Buy a nice convertible Nick!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:57 pm 
Single again

As you can see what the problem is.

Remove the offending area and you're left with this.

Start with some 16 gauge sheet metal and put a 90°edge into it.

Cut it on the band saw.

Tack it in place.

Note: I made my patches longer than necessary! I did this because the frame rails still need to be welded in. I'll cut the excess off with the plasma cutter once the frame rails are fully installed.

Upper inner rail being made.

Trial fit.

Partially welded in.

I do need to tweak the outer frame rails but that's for another day. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:14 pm 
Guru

thanks guys for your input.

whenever I get some time i'll rip apart the back end and take an in depth look at the cancer, post some pics and go from there...for now the car will sit as is. :roll:

admittedly, I'm not a welder at all even though my dad was one(fitter welder/pipe fitter etc etc. skipped a gen I guess. :shock: )
I will need some help for the metal work if the rust is not too bad/repairable within reason. (like Pete said, I have no inclination/desire to become a welder), but
I prefer not to scrap a fiero if not absolutely necessary...it wouldn't feel right, ya know???

if its bad though, parts out it is! and i'll look for another rust free car, later.

and your metalwork is topnotch Looney!; we've all been following your work & progress, wow!
thanks for the rails offer, will let you know.

Lothar, what's my price for that thing these days? tempt me, ha ha!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:25 am 
Single again

Buying a Southern car is a viable option for some. It's an easy way to have a solid platform to start with. I too was looking for that elusive rust-free space frame, and I found one! Sadly, it was over the pond, and since I have no passport, I didn't get it. Last I checked, it was still there. If you're into a full rebuild, I can email the guy and see if it's still available. This is way more work than simply repairing the rust on your car. It's your project, your time, your money.

Although I'm still actively picking away at my turd, I'm glad to assist any fellow member on here if I can. Fabrication is not for everyone, I understand. I, however, work at a place where I have the ability to use the shop equipment, which makes this easier for me.

You don't have to remove all the rear body panels. Just remove the inner splash shields and you can get a real good idea of what's going on. Let us know what you see once you get that far.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:22 pm 

Call me on my cell Nick....289-527-1718....anytime!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:10 pm 
Fieronut

88spyder wrote:
Call me on my cell Nick....289-527-1718....anytime!!

You're alive! :o :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:02 pm 
Guru

just an update, the iceberg rust suggestion turned out to be true...so another fiero is so long, sayonara. :(

the drivetrain, panels, interior, front end parts etc have been saved & gone to a better place,
but frame/rails & floor all shot/not worth repairing.

thanks Dave for your help & all for your input.

now, onwards & upwards!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:26 am 
Single again

OHNIKO wrote:
just an update, the iceberg rust suggestion turned out to be true...so another fiero is so long, sayonara. :(

We need more people on here that can fabricate. I see too many get scrapped because of some rust. It's only steel. It can be repaired. I know I know, my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:59 pm 
Addict

Lunatic.. I did offer about 3 times to bring a car back for you from the USA, so not having a passport is not an excuse :) I think you just like the punishment.. after all.. why would I want a nice rust free chassis and finish a swap in a month, when I could rebuild a rustbucket and finish a swap in 14 months?? LOL

Masochist

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:54 pm 
Guru

lol, u guys crack me up.
...and yes indeed I wish I had more talents (& time!...note to self; clone myself!)