G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:45 pm 
Guru

FOR CLASSIC CAR COVERAGE

I'm looking for an appraiser...can anyone recommend someone?
or is anyone here an appraiser? 8-)

I'll likely be going with Lant (broker) & coverage with Hagerty...

I'm in Northwest Mississauga.

thanks!

Nick

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:58 pm 
Addict

I did appraisals for years (Asylum Motorsports Inc.) but I'm pretty much retired now.

Call Tony at Lant. He can point you to someone close to you.

Plus that way you know they will accept it. (And that CAN be an issue!)

1991 Beretta GTZ W-41 Quad 4

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:16 pm 
Guru

Asylum wrote:
I did appraisals for years (Asylum Motorsports Inc.) but I'm pretty much retired now.

Call Tony at Lant. He can point you to someone close to you.

Plus that way you know they will accept it. (And that CAN be an issue!)

thanks Eric. I don't see why not, they already insure one of my cars but I've heard some things may have changed since Hagerty bought out whoever a couple years ago...
what's an appraisal go for these days?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:03 pm 
Addict

Nick if you do have an issue with getting coverage try Eschelon Insurance. I am with them and they're as good as Silver Wheels, maybe even a bit better (a little less strict on when you can drive).

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:19 pm 
Addict

canuckmark wrote:
Nick if you do have an issue with getting coverage try Eschelon Insurance. I am with them and they're as good as Silver Wheels, maybe even a bit better (a little less strict on when you can drive).

There are better options than Lant/Hagerty but you have to shop around.

Just make ABSOLUTELY SURE you have "Form 19(a)" coverage. The (a) is important!!

That is agreed value part of the policy the underwriter is bound to.

If you are unsure or not aware of this policy codicil just Google "Ontario Insurance Form 19A".

It's important.

And EVERYONE. Make sure the VIN on your insurance policy, and any appraisal you have, match the car.

NOT the ownership, but the actual VIN on the car. The ownership can be corrected. Your insurance may take a lot more effort. And scrutiny.

You would not believe how many typos I have run across over the years and it can cause all sorts of problems in the event of a claim.

Especially a majour claim.

FWIW!

Cheers

1991 Beretta GTZ W-41 Quad 4

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:26 pm 
Fieronut

I need to get my car re appraised again but when done, I'm dropping Hagerty (Lant) been hearing bad things since Hagerty bought out Lant. Past two years I've had a "Hagerty Fee" of $40 on top of my policy. One friend who also had this called them up and asked what it was. We drive an "80s" vehicle and there are too many on the road so the have added this fee. Meanwhile there are a few members on the forum who don't have this extra fee with their Hagerty coverage. Why???
Also we've heard Hagerty hasn't been living up to the "Agreed Value" when vehicles have been written off. A few friends and myself are looking into ZEHR vintage insurance for our next renewal period.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:30 pm 
Addict

Asylum wrote:
canuckmark wrote:

There are better options than Lant/Hagerty but you have to shop around.

Just make ABSOLUTELY SURE you have "Form 19(a)" coverage. The (a) is important!!

That is agreed value part of the policy the underwriter is bound to.

If you are unsure or not aware of this policy codicil just Google "Ontario Insurance Form 19A".

It's important.

And EVERYONE. Make sure the VIN on your insurance policy, and any appraisal you have, match the car.

NOT the ownership, but the actual VIN on the car. The ownership can be corrected. Your insurance may take a lot more effort. And scrutiny.

You would not believe how many typos I have run across over the years and it can cause all sorts of problems in the event of a claim.

Especially a majour claim.

FWIW!

Cheers

Roger on the 19A form. I have this with Eschelon (they send a copy with every renewal notice) and am appraised at 10,300. The only caveat I will add is since the car is a Pace Car edition they consider it limited production or special or something. Then again they may also know that top speed with the Iron Duke is barely over 100kph anyway (but I digress).

Two weeks ago I paid my yearly premium at $120. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:24 pm 

I was just about to post some info I found going through the process of getting classic car insurance for the first time. I just had it finalized this morning.

Zehrs Insurance is 19A, and requires the drivers have held a G2 or higher for 10 years.

Vintage Auto Insurance is also 19A, found out about it from this website which explains why you want 19A, as Asylum pointed out. They also list Zehrs as a suggested insurer. They don't list how long you have to have been holding a license. Didn't contact them for any further info.

Eschelon is 19A, I got a quote from a broker, good rate. No restriction on length of holding a license (I assume because they didn't say anything about it)

Intact, will do 19A but I think you have to ask for it and then also qualify. No restriction on length of holding a license (I assume because they didn't say anything about it) Went with them only because I converted all my insurance over to intact with an new broker and because I didn't qualify for Zehrs.

This is all based on insuring a Fiero considered stock. I think intact won't insure a modified car as "classic" but might be able to be classified as something else I don't know. And all require an appraisal.
Had mine done by Ron at RJ Vintage Garage, referred to me though a fiend of my father who had used him before, saw him suggested on a few sites, and a member of PAVE. I was happy with his work (have nothing to compare it to) $150 all in for a stock car, its a little more for a modified car and comes to where you are.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:11 am 
Guru

great info guys. thanks.

as a group we have more power with these insurers. i'll complain to lant on our behalf.
as a broker, they should be representing OUR interests, not hagerty's ie.

when hagerty came on board, they had a $40? extra fee for road service & a magazine subscription, which I declined...was perhaps that it Adam?

I have nothing further on my coverage aside from my $107 premium on OHNIKO (my red notchie) that has an agreed upon value.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:36 am 
Guru

ok, so just got off the phone with Jackie @ Lant. (Tony is no longer there btw).

no appraisal necessarily needed anymore if u send in pics & do an agreed upon value, form 19a.
...I just insured the 'Blue beast' for even cheaper premium than OHNIKO since it's now a 2nd (added) car ...(multi vehicle discount).
just need to email in approx. 6-12 pics of car (exterior different angles, engine bay, interior, trunk, VIN) & we're done.
she emails then mails pink slips & policy paperwork.

she said main factors for coverage are age of driver, agreed upon value, model & age of car.
for any future modifications fixes (interior, engine etc) just email them updated pictures & short description of work fixed/done if u ever want to increase the agreed upon value.

she was gr8 to deal with, easy peezy & hope this info helps folks!

p.s. I also told them some of our members not happy with the new Hagerty stuff, she said its actually Aviva's/elite ins. doing (their new policies etc). they are the ones apparently :roll: