G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: F23 3800 Work Log
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:14 am 

I've been watching your design since you started posting here. I have to say your work is top notch and I really hope you do a pre '88 set of mounts as well. If you decide to than I will be your first customer for them! Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:05 am 
Single again

mr_corean wrote:
I've been watching your design since you started posting here. I have to say your work is top notch and I really hope you do a pre '88 set of mounts as well. If you decide to than I will be your first customer for them! Keep up the good work!

Thank you for the kind works good sir. As mentioned earlier, this set of mounts will be for Pete. After that, I will evaluate and see where I stand on the 84-87 mounts. I would have to get an 84-87 cradle and see how well, if at all, if fits onto my jig. It would take a little time to do this as I'd have to source the cradle and re-tool my jig. Who knows, maybe these mounts will be close to fitting as is.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:00 pm 
Single again

Well it's Friday and I dabbled with the cradle jig. It's almost complete and here are a few random pictures from today. I have to add one stabilizer for the rear mounting points but that will wait until tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:47 pm 
Addict

Looks really sturdy Shayne, nice job! I have spare axles and knucles/suspension when you get closer to being ready to mount it to the tranny and block

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:16 am 
Single again

To all those following this thread:

Late last year, cam-a-lot (Pete) sold his Fiero. A while after that, he picked up his spare cradle and transaxle. With having said this, I have no reason to continue on with this endeavor at this time.

Should one of you like to continue on with this, please let me know. I have the rear mount assembly and you can have it. I can still participate and do the CAD drawings. The front mount isn't that difficult to make but it takes time to make it fit nicely and as a bolt-in solution.

I know there is a demand for this item and it would've been nice to see it come to fruition.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:04 pm 
Addict

If I was to finish it off could you then produce the mounts from the set I make then sell them

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:25 am 
Single again

Darn cars wrote:
If I was to finish it off could you then produce the mounts from the set I make then sell them

Dan,

Career wise, I've moved on from fabrication. However, I've been using another laser shop lately as the owner and I have become good friends. Designing and cutting the parts is still possible for me.

If you had all the key elements at your place, the donor Fiero, the cradle, the F23 and the 3800 block, then this might be a possibility.

What I really wanted to do is use my Northstar and make the F23 mounts around that first. If the mounts would work with the big Northstar, then this opens door to other swaps. In reality, the small engines would fit that much better and since the mounts would work on a V8, then we'd satisfy many swapper's needs.

After the R&D, I'd consider making mounts in larger quantities. Having to cater to the 84-87 and the 88 crowds though might be a challenge.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:32 pm 
Addict

I have an 88 Formula here for the winter from a customer in Virginia that is getting the 3800SC F23 swap so could use this to make the mount on