G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:14 pm 
Gold Member

I'm looking for someone with experience installing a 3.8 supercharged engine. I want one done properly. Let me know if you have a contact. Thnx.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:43 pm 
Addict

According to all but one I do nice work and have done many engine swaps to date. Can send photos or you can come see my 3800SC/F23 powered 88 formula if you like

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:23 pm 
Addict

:)

Last edited by cam-a-lot on Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:11 am 
Gold Member

Sounds like there isn't anyone in Ontario that does these decently? maybe I should just stick to the original engine and upgrade to a 3.4 block. Power isn't a big thing for me I want more of an original show car without the headaches.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:54 am 
Addict

It's just my opinion, others may disagree. I have a longstanding issue with Dan, since we have a very different idea of what a professional swap entails- so keep in mind that I have a bias against the guy. He can get your car running. It may even be reliable. But based on the swaps he did on my 2 88 GTs, plus many others I have seen that he has done, you will spend a lot of time and effort fixing things up, tidying up. Basically it is a backyard , messy looking swap that is functional. If you are happy with that and can accept that you will spend time and money to make it right, then it may make sense (though make sure to protect the interior of your car and take pictures- both of mine came back with grease stains on the interior that never came out)

If you don't care too much about power, why not leave the 2.8 in there and just enjoy the car? It will save you a ton of hassle and cost, and still sounds nice and is a great Sunday afternoon cruiser. If you ever blow the engine, you can get another 2.8 or 3.1 for almost free from anywhere

The 3.4 is a nice upgrade and gives you about 30-40 HP, but if you just want a car to drive around on sunny weekends, is it really worth it? Your call

If I could go back in time, I would have left my 2.8 in there and just enjoy the car, save a ton of $$ and grief ......Other guys on here have more skills and tools than I do (X-Thumpr, Notch88, Luke, etc), so for these guys to do an engine swap or upgrade is a different story. They are independent and don't need anyone's help, so it is a lot less risk to pull an engine and replace it. The also have the ability to diagnose and repair issues as they come up, which is inevitable with a 28 year old car with an aftermarket engine.

One thing I learned that hard way about these cars is that if you don't want to keep it stock, it is best to do the work yourself. If you (like me) don't have the time, tools or skills to do major mods, it is best to leave the car stock and just maintain it/enjoy it, or buy one that is already swapped with the bugs worked out. This way there is no animosity, broken promises, headaches, etc....

As much as Dan and I have our disagreements, this post is not about dumping on the guy. I have moved on from that. It is simply to warn you that once you give a person permission and money to pull a perfectly good engine out of your car to replace it with something aftermarket, you are in for a lot of hassle, cost, delays, potential damage, with little control over the outcome. I would leave the car stock and enjoy it, and perhaps keep an eye out for a properly swapped car to come up for sale, or buy the bullet and spend the $$ to but the properly swapped red 88 GT that is going for $14k (RULOOKIN's old car- check it out on PFF). Now THAT is a professional swap, done by a guy who has never done one before,but he did everything properly and it needs nothing but an AC line. It is by far the nicest 3800 swap around Ontario.

Good luck with your new toy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:23 pm 
Gold Member

thnx for the background much appreciated!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:10 pm 
Addict

Once again the coward has come out with his BS and insults believe his crap if you want he does tell quite the fairy tale though. His car was built exactly as he requested with the parts he supplied and was all done through bartering for a car that he supplied after removing most of the good parts and never did give a receipt for even though all agreed work was done and then some.
Car is still on road after many years of abuse even with the supposed weak mounts that have still not broken and the shit work as he says that still keeps the car running. Only thing wrong with car is lousy headers that he was told many times not to use but did any ways. Of course there is the damage he did while cutting his header with a hack saw and he does like to pull things apart and say they broke.
I have offered many times to meet up with the coward to see what can be done but he prefers the cowardly route of on line insults and attacks.
Lets see now he got a complete F23 swap, all new suspension poly installed, stereo install, AC system completely removed and cleaned of clogging debris and installed back on car, WCF headers installed and rest of exhaust built to work with plus a whole lot more all in exchange for a car he had about $1000 into after removing the parts agreed upon not counting the extras he kept.
Then he started to get insulting after I made him wait on a holiday Sunday till his exhaust cooled before working on guess he does not like to wait on lesser people as he calls us and when I was not fast enough at getting to his house to repair a heater hose break from where the hose came loose and hit the belt after he played with the headers and dislodged the hose at which point he started insulting me, my work and my family to the point I told him to go to hell. Still have the emails where he insults me threatens me and calls my girlfriend a trailer trash whore. Now tell me how many out there would not tell him where to go for that and it is for that he will get a beating one day when we finally meet face to face and he stops hiding from me.
Now if you want to believe this piece of work go ahead. Maybe one day he will grow a set and actual;y meet face to face after all he talks so tough pointed out to me many times how he is younger stronger and knows karate so why not meet then coward.
Not sure about others but I brew tired of his crap long ago with constant insults and lies.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:31 pm 
Addict

Temper temper... :)

I had to cut the crossover pipe because it was warped and needed a clamp over it. Absolutely nothing to do with the coolant leaks and all the other crap you butchered on my cars. and pssst.... here is a secret.. Coolant hoses that rubbed into belts are on the other side of the engine, 2 feet away. That is a heck of a long hacksaw!! The only reason the mounts have not broken yet is because Duane and Joe had to weld an additional brace onto the engine block and cradle. Before then, the engine would move 3/4" every time it shifted.
-you filled my AC system with RED TEK crap instead of R134-A. It leaked the day I picked it up
-wiring harness leading to the O2 sensor touched the exhaust and melted
-2 different coolant hoses burst. One from rubbing a belt, the other from rubbing the body underneath
-the fuel line is centimeters from the EGR valve.... Great thinking!
-I had 2 calipers almost fall off while driving since they were not torqued to spec, and the bolts fell off
-your "intake" solution is a joke, search on PFF- pictures are there. Duct tape?
-your wiring and hoses are a jumbled mess, all over the supercharger and the engine. Looks ghetto
-the headers/crossover were warped. They never bolted together for more than a few minutes before coming loose. this is not your fault- it is the previous owner who tried to bake header paint on them. BUT you knew this, never mentioned it to me until after I took the car home, and I had loose exhaust clamps for a 2 hr drive home. You should tell the customer there is an issue, offer alternatives and pricing, not send them home knowing their exhaust will practically fall off. Hack.
-you took a brand new dogbone from Fierostore that I gave you, and instead of putting the engine in the right position, you cut the dogbone in half and welded it at an angle... looks like crap. Hack
-the exhaust and muffler was hitting the body, missing muffler springs, bouncing off the car during driving
-the tune was a base 3800 tune and not set up for the Northstar TB and MAF.

The guy who bought my white 88 GT spent months redoing your crappy swap, replacing mounts, hoses, low alternator mount that kept coming loose, tranny lines that were literally twisted into a knot, and a tranny pan that was touching the cradle. Instead of mounting the engine properly, you took a grinder to my cradle and weakened it... hack

This is all documented on PFF with pictures for anyone bored enough to want to see it.

Whatever, you want to fight like a schoolboy, come on over :) or we can have a duel with swords.. old school style. That would be fun! Just go find someone to lend you $50 for gas, and come on over.

Maybe jousting on horses? Do you know how to ride a horse?
I bet Adam is soooo sick of our bickering that he would be glad if we had a duel at high noon at the OK Corrall

Detailed pictures of both your swaps you did for me are on PFF for anyone to see and judge. The original poster has seen pictures of your Formula that you swapped- AND THIS IS YOUR OWN CAR... and the swap looks like crap. Where are all your defenders if you have done 50-60 swaps and everyone is just so DARN pleased with you??

Last edited by cam-a-lot on Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:46 pm 
Addict

Grow up every one is sick of your cowardly insults. Only thing your car needs is exhaust and as I offered many times a second dog bone would not hurt. you complained mounts were not strong enough and I offered to make them stronger knowing yours was my first F23 swap but you chose to insult instead not even as weak as you say they are how many years later they are still holding. Now tell me how you take a hack saw to a crossover while still mounted on the engine in the engine bay and not disturb any thing and yet I was still willing to fix your hacking till you insulted my family.
You got more then what you paid for using parts you supplied and the car built how you asked so explain how I am at fault for your mental issues.
I build the cars as per customer requests using parts they want or supply cause it is what they want and what they can afford. Now if you had wanted to spend more and buy nice fancy parts your car would have looked fancier that is it, would not have ran any different cause it runs just fine. You get so jealous of other cars where years were spent and thousands of dollars when you had your car built in a few weeks with cheapest parts you could find to supply in exchange for a car you stripped parts off and never signed over. There was no stains out on your as they were covered in sheets when I worked on it and I always change before going into a cars interior although this is a new insult for you. Only stains in either of your cars was the first and in the trunk that came loaded with used parts when you bought it meaning the stains were already there.
Now again grow up have done so many cars before and after yours that are out there running nicely with no complaints at all except of course your imaginary ones so again if you want to believe his crap go ahead I am not too worried as most people are intelligent enough to either see through your crap or just out right ignore you and the rest well lets just say I have had enough dealing with you so any one actually listening to a clown like you is some one I am better off not doing business with.
Now please some actual proof lets see a broken mount or hacked up mess that you did not alter to try and make it look like one

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:21 pm 
Gold Member

wow guys that's a lot of time and effort to insult eachother! as a former cop I have been around the block and it seems like your 2 do not like eachother! I can tell you I drove the car and it ran nicely and didn't seem to have any issues aside from a f23 mount I didn't like and an clamp in the exhaust header that was poorly done, oh and the heater core bypass which surprised me considered they only cost 85 bucks to replace.

Im going to decide not to pick sides and probably go with an all original mint condition car as the 2 of you have soured me on the swap idea. Not to mention that this behaviour seems to be coming from 2 guys in their min 40's!

lets all be friends!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:24 pm 
Addict

We love each other. We secretly meet in gay bathouses on the weekend and make up :)

and remember, the car you drove is not the same condition as when the swap was finished. There has been a lot of time and effort spent on making it driveable and reliable

good luck on the new car!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:36 pm 
Gold Member

you guys are funny!!!! cant wait to meet this summer!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:11 pm 
Addict

Hey, it's not just Adam that is sick of hearing this. I find it difficult to sit and read this crap without speaking up for a friend, right ? I have helped Pete with his car, if he needed help I would help him, Pete and Dan don't get along. Peter I realize you think you are doing people a favour by warning them but that's not true, you are antagonizing Dan over a personal experience, I have dealt with Dan, he is knowledgable, he has helped me whenever I have asked him anything. I'm actually impressed with what he does, considering. I can appreciate the work involved and people have expectations, I'm trying to be fair to both parties here. I'm not going to recommend Dan as a professional installer, but he is not a crook either, if someone has better skills, than they are better off going to all the expense and trouble to gain the knowledge, everything required to do their own swap. Drawn out over a long period, rent shop space etc. That's what Duane did and Joe helped him, I helped him. I have been reluctant to point out the faults or become critical. I would like to help to resolve this matter but I don't think it would be accepted.

It doesn't make a hill of beans difference to me if you kill each other, this has been going on way too long, Pete is going to get banned from PFF.

Dan, Pete is playing you like a violin !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:55 pm 
Addict

The only shop around that I know that could do a truly professional swap would be Legendary Motor Cars located in Milton, they do really nice work !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:13 pm 
Addict

When I first decided to do a 3800SC swap into my Fiero many years ago I contacted a few places for info and I either got it can not be done or pay us $10,000 and we will do it for you. So I figured it out by myself and finished off the car which I ended up keeping and abusing for over seven years before selling to build another. Basically there was no one doing this kind of work especially on Fieros so once my car was seen at a few get club meetings and such the requests to build more started pouring in, it is at that point I decided to focus on doing this kind of work and set my prices at what I considered a very reasonable amount so just about any one could afford this not just the wealthy ones. With that there has been very many done over the years.
I have learned a lot along the way and even made a few mistakes that I did correct and learned even more from to improve my work.
When I had the space back living in Prince Edward county my shop was always open to Fiero owners to either get me to do work or allow them to use the shop when I had room for an extra car, I held barbecue get togethers with many attending that led up to watching racing at Shannonville later in the day. I supplied most of the food and as mentioned my doors were always open I had people drop by some times in the late evening when trouble arose with their cars and help was needed.
I like to think I have given a lot to the Fiero community and I have made many friends over the years. No I am not a pro never had a mechanics class in my life I learned doing the work and my with back ground in avionics it made wiring quite easy for me.
I have also been know for being honest and standing by my work there was one case I made the trip to northern Quebec cause a customers car had failed at no cost to him as it was warranty work, turned out to be nothing more then a bad O2 sensor but I still made the trip.
In the case of the complainer on here yes his heater hose was cut by the belt and yes I was fully intent on making the three hour trip to him to fix it just like any other customers car but under the conditions that I was at the time and he knew full well what that was I had to have some one come along which took a little to arrange but that was not fast enough and the threats and insults started so that got us to where we are. If not for that I would have done any needed repairs just like I still do for any one else. As mentioned this was my first F23 swap and I built every thing to what I felt was strong enough but was more then willing to strengthen if needed as it was a learning experience just like any thing else that is done fore the first time.
I still use the same style mounts today only difference is I upgraded to 1/4 inch steel, even have the same style mounts on my own Fiero. I had thought using metal thicker then stock mounts should be ok maybe I was wrong but I will say that after the insults I got towards myself and my family any chance of that happening on this car was gone out the window.
I just want to be able to carry on with out the constant insults and yes maybe I do not need to respond to them cause I am still quite busy with lots of work coming in but I also feel that I should not have to be constantly being insulted either and if there is one thing I hate it is a bully either in actual face to face or even worse the cowardly cyber bully crap and yes maybe I should stop asking to meet so I can teach him a lesson or two but then again how would any one else deal with this especially calling my girlfriend a trailer trash whore that is what pushed me over the edge.
Now if he will stop the insults I will be willing to let things go, can not guarantee I will not give him a beating first time we are face to face but who knows if he leaves me alone I might to the same