G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:02 pm 

Short story/question:
What rotors and pads are do you use and recommend? Availability or good parts looks to be getting harder. This is for an 86.

Well took the tires off this spring and found out I needed new pads, and since some of my rotors are a little on the worn out side I figured I would do those too.

Getting the pads and rotors has not been an easy task thus far. I've used wagner thermoquiets in the past and was happy with them. Rock auto has the rears listed and available but not the fronts. Part source said they could get the fronts so ordered both from the respective parties. This lead to my first problem, the front pads from part source are wrong, they look kind of close but are too big, clip configuration is almost right and part number is correct, but still wrong.

I then find out on pennock that the thermoquiets look to have been discontinued. So finding thermoquiets hasn't been possible. Now the thermoquiets look to have been replaced by Prefect stop by wagner. (According to info found in these threads: http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/136304.html and http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/137616.html)

Now trying to find the Perfect stops hasn't been easy, even going by the wagner perfect stop website, the part stores listed there don't have the fiero pads in their system.

Only place I've found stock of them is: http://www.garagesupplies.ca and ebay in the USA.

Now rotors, only rotors that are stocked in Canada from Part Source/CT are economy (not sure brand) and NAPA with their store brand which I think was also economy. I was looking at getting better quality rotors but only options look like rock auto centric or possibly ACDELCO but centric only have fronts listed (they have rears also but are drilled and I'm not interested in that) Going with centric fronts and other type rears cost about $300 to the door. ACDELCO is about the same $300 to the door. Or the last option which I'm probably going to end up with Raybestos professional grade for $150 to the door. According to raybestos website, PG rotors are listed as standard grade. They do list AT, which is listed as premium but they only list fronts and no rears and not available from rock auto.

For reference and google searches (how I found some of the above info)
Thermoquiets
Fronts - MX261 Semi Metallic Brake Pads
Rears - MX262 Semi Metallic Brake Pads

Perfect Stops
Front - Perfect Stop PS261M Semi Metallic Brake Pads
Rear - Perfect Stop PS262M Semi Metallic Brake Pads

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:30 am 
Fieronut

This is another reason for a brake upgrade, parts are more available. We can make them fit under your stock 15" rims too. ;)
Rolling chassis I have I believe has stock cross drilled rotors on the rear. Not sure what shape they are in but if you want them you can have them. The front was converted to 11 1/4" upgrade.