G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A new heart for Blu
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:01 pm 
Addict

1998 Riviera with 190kms.

Not coming my way until the spring, but thought I'd start the gathering of parts & info. I'll be going mild cam, springs, & gaskets just for starters. Smaller pulley & intercooler will be phase II so want the engine to be ready for it. I like the auto in Blondie, but I'm planning on either using my existing 5-speed getrag or grabbing something with longer legs.

Post subject: Re: A new heart for Blu
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:03 pm 
Creator of the SBC Fiero

Nice! Mine is on phase 3 this winter.

What's your end goal with it? Fun power or are you like me and start going ugh ugh ugh...more power?

Reason I ask is transmission based. Keeping it automatic is better for high hp aspirations (though they still need upgrading 8nput shafts chain etc etc)

For lower hp the 5spd is just a lot more fun to drive though but the clutches that hold higher HP are evil and the trans is fragile.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:26 pm 
Addict

Ya, I've seen there's not much in the way of manual tranny options - not plug & play anyway. I'm thinking of 325hp as a goal for dependable power with the 84 4-speed MY8 if I can find one. I don't think it'll be a stoplight king so much as having a nice punch every now and then once rolling.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:40 pm 
wannabe

84 M19 320 to the wheels on the dyno, just saying :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:42 pm 
Fieronut

BigB wrote:
Ya, I've seen there's not much in the way of manual tranny options - not plug & play anyway. I'm thinking of 325hp as a goal for dependable power with the 84 4-speed MY8 if I can find one. I don't think it'll be a stoplight king so much as having a nice punch every now and then once rolling.

If you really desire the 84 MY8 gears, I'd suggest you install them in an M17 transmission then (85-86) it has a stronger casing then the 84's. For overall driving and little more dependable manual, you should look into an F23 or at least a FWD 282 getrag.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:57 pm 
Addict

So, in order of preference, I was looking at

MY8
282 (which I have already)
F23

Sounds to me like I have basically 2 choices. Stick with the "less fun" auto option if I'm pushing more than 300, or limit the build and be happy with a close-to-stock setup.

Sound about right?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:45 pm 
wannabe

That was full throttle in first gear, after fully releasing the clutch. But ya those Muncies really aren't up to the task of a 3800 SC. I used to be a standard over auto guy, but the reality is use the best tool for the job IMO. In almost all modern cars the autos now perform better then the standards (didn't used to be the case), but there really is no easy install standard transmission that bolts up to the 3800 designed for anywhere near the tq that those engines create.

Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:40 am 
Addict

So maybe I should rename the thread "Seven gets a performance block" and leave blue as a 2.8 standard.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:53 am 
wannabe

That's an option, but do you like standard transmissions or performance more? You would be lucky to put 180 to the wheels on a 2.8.... And that would require a turbo or some kind of power adder.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:42 pm 
Addict

Standard all the way. Blu's a lot of fun, and sounds awesome, but was thinking a little "more" might be even more fun. Again, maybe go to town a bit with the Formula and install the close-to-stock 3800sc now installed behind the 5-speed in Blu once I'm finished. The intention is not to create power at the expense of problems. I have the 2 so I can experiment a little before implementing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:12 pm 
wannabe

As long as you are being smart about it, stay standard. I always knew the standard wouldn't support the power I wanted, I knew I would inevitably have to go auto for the power I wanted.

Stay lower power if you want to keep the manual transmission, at least you have a much better chance of keeping a working car that way :)

Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:15 pm 
Addict

I'll be scouring, but Blondie already needed a notch in the deck-lid support. Anyone know which mounts are required to re-position the engine down so the addition of a 1" inter-cooler does not require a deck-lid scoop? I've read some Dodge vintage truck mounts, but there's gotta be something a little more standard being used. I'll be using the 4-speed auto presently attached.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:23 pm 
wannabe

I can't help you on that, my rear lid already had the scoop when I got the car, and I had to notch the side huge with the full size intercooler (2.25") and Gen V blower.

Whatever you decide to do, if you are going to be driving it hard get poly mounts everywhere, and make sure you use a dog bone on the top, or you will likely eat mounts at an alarming rate.

Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:46 pm 
Addict

Presently poly is installed all around but no dog mount. No hard driving here, just a nice rush every now and then on a highway. Along the lines of setup, does your regular coolant hose run through the center of your pulley running to the alternator. I ask because mine does, and it's been rubbed against more than once. Wondering about a 90 degree elbow or even different water pump to get it out of there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:25 pm 
wannabe

I am not sure I understand the question. Can you take a picture of what you are asking?