G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: engine swap
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:02 pm 
Addict

Does anyone know how to change the number of cylinders on the ownership from 4 to 6 or 8 cylinders?

Post subject: Re: engine swap
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:28 pm 
Fieronut

Just go to the DMV and bring pics with you along with. They will tell you if you need anything else, the car is already insured as a 6 cylinder right? Custom insurance?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:45 am 
Addict

The car is registered as a 4 cylinder. I did go to the DMV. It is not that easy to change it. They want a letter from the dealer who put the motor in. The number of cylinders is also in the VIN. It seems the 10th. digit from the left is the year of manufacture, the 8th digit will be a letter which denotes the number of cylinders.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:54 pm 
Fieronut

Did you tell them its not a dealer install and it was an aftermarket job done by a previous owner? Other then that, do you really need it to say 6 cylinder on the title? Your insurance company already knows it's a 6 cylinder now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:05 am 
Gold Member

yes whats your concern? as long as your insurance knows about the swap. The police don't care, trust me I use to be one!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:10 am 
Addict

he is correct only thing that matters is the insurance knowing, police do not care and I have tried in the past to do this and was told by the MTO that it was not necessary they were only concerned that I changed the colour and fixed that on my ownership. If you do not inform insurance company they can refuse any claims from accidents and void your insurance if they find out, I know for many this does not matter but with the age of our cars and collector car insurance companies willing to deal with the engine swapped cars it is crazy not to inform the insurance company any more. There use to be a horse power limit for the street that police might have dealt with that but with factory cars now over 700 hp that must no loner exist.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:15 pm 

The reason MTO needs to know is for the e-test.

When I changed mine, I brought my appraisal. Was all ready for a big deal, but they really didn't care. They didn't want to look at any of the paperwork I brought, except the insurance papers. I told them I wanted to change the status of my car to "Hot Rod". Then they just asked me how many cylinders. I said 8, and they said okay that's all, it's done.