G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:59 am 
Addict

Hey folks

It's been a while, I hope everyone is doing well. As some of you know, I sold my Fiero last year since I didn't have the skills, nor was I able to find anyone to fix up my poorly done swap to my satisfaction. While it was functioning, it just looked ugly, and had too many little things wrong with it, even after I fixed many of the major issues. I planned to buy a nice Cayman S after selling the Fiero, but the deal fell through last minute as the elderly owner decided to give the car to his son. Now I was left with only practical, boring vehicles to drive :( I miss my little Fiero every day and have the bug to perhaps buy another one.

I have been thinking of picking up Duane's old car. The workmanship in that car (not just the extra parts) is night and day compared to my old swap, and I am pretty confident that I would be happier with that car. With that said, I do need to remind myself that it is a 29 year old car with an aftermarket engine and a lot of mods, and will never be a reliable car by today's standards

The current owner has not driven the car since Duane sold it to him, and it has sat in a climate controlled shop for the last 2 or 3 years. There is some gas in it, and it had fuel stabilizer added, but it is the same gas from 3 years ago. It seems to start up just fine.

Can anyone tell me what to look for in terms of damage to the fuel pump or fuel injection system from old gas? If the car starts fine, and of course I would need to fill it ASAP with fresh fuel, is there anything else I should do like drop and clean the fuel tank?

I am still in the "trying to convince the wife" stage, as the car is quite pricey. Alternatively, since I don't have the skills or the tools to do much with a Fiero other than basic maintenance, I may be smarter to buy a bone stock Fiero as it is likely to have less problems than a swapped car. Just carry a trunk full of ignition modules, EGR tubes, distributors, and away I go :)

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:24 pm 
Single again

Fuel sitting stagnant in a tank can lead to misery. If the tank was not filled prior to storage, then the risk of dry rot occurs. Remember, there's a short hose that joins the fuel pump to the fuel line tube and this likes to dry and rot causing low/no fuel pressure. While you said it runs, that's a good start. If It was my car, I'd drop the tank and have a good look inside. Rust could be your enemy as well. Chances are it's okay inside but piece of mind is priceless.

PS-I work on Boxsters and Caymans. They are pieces of shit too. They have IMS (intermediate main shaft) bearing failures which get expensive to repair. Along with cylinder wall scoring and rear main seal leaks.

PS-An old Fiero with a modern driveline and refreshed hoses, belts, bearings, etc, can be a very reliable vehicle.
PSS-It's a shame that you sold all you spare parts. They would've came in handy especially now that you're thinking of getting another Fiero.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:45 am 
Addict

thanks shayne, good info.

I am not too worried about selling the parts- I received a crazy amount of money for them (well over $10,000) so it was hard to say no. The only parts I regret selling are the NOS GT sailback panels, as I will never find another set again. The other stuff I am fairly sure I can find on PFF if I am ever desperate. Interesting info about the Cayman- the one I was looking at was only a year old, but I do get your point that they all have their drawbacks for sure...

I will have to mull this one over. Thanks again

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:22 pm 
Gold Member

You talking about the red 88 with the 3.8 in it that was for sale last year??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:01 am 
Fieronut

jjd2296 wrote:

Yes he is. Duane spent a lot of money on that Fiero. Funny his name comes up now, he showed up in Carlisle also the past weekend. Had a FB message from him asking abut the show, next day I see him riding his Ducati through town. No matter what he's driving or riding, he seems to stick out. LOL 8-)

8-)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:07 am 
Gold Member

I would buy that one if you don't cam a lot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:32 pm 
Gold Member

x-thumpr-x wrote:
jjd2296 wrote:

Yes he is. Duane spent a lot of money on that Fiero. Funny his name comes up now, he showed up in Carlisle also the past weekend. Had a FB message from him asking abut the show, next day I see him riding his Ducati through town. No matter what he's driving or riding, he seems to stick out. LOL 8-)

How do I get in touch wit the current owner??

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:37 pm 
Fieronut

I'd try to get in touch with Duane. I believe it was his boss that bought the car.

8-)