G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 84 Indy 500 Small Issues
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:57 pm 

Hello!

Just recently bought an 84 Indy 500, wanted to know how to diagnose or what may be the remedy to these issues:

1. Tachometer does not work, car is an automatic
2. Left window squeals badly and leaves a rubber line up the window when going up.
3. Windshield washer does not pump fluid (replace the pump or whole assembly with tank needed?)
4. Rear cylinder on the trunk for the key is busted
5. Key snapped in right door lock... have to change it out?
6. Check engine light comes on randomly after heavy acceleration and remains until car is shut off and started again.
7. Rip on left side of leather of the driver seat. Is this leather or fake leather, and what is the best way to repair. I can post pics if needed.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:52 pm 
Addict

Drachenblut wrote:
Hello!

Just recently bought an 84 Indy 500, wanted to know how to diagnose or what may be the remedy to these issues:

1. Tachometer does not work, car is an automatic
2. Left window squeals badly and leaves a rubber line up the window when going up.
3. Windshield washer does not pump fluid (replace the pump or whole assembly with tank needed?)
4. Rear cylinder on the trunk for the key is busted
5. Key snapped in right door lock... have to change it out?
6. Check engine light comes on randomly after heavy acceleration and remains until car is shut off and started again.
7. Rip on left side of leather of the driver seat. Is this leather or fake leather, and what is the best way to repair. I can post pics if needed.
Thanks

This is what I have encountered with my Indy:

1. My tach has recently been reading fast. Last year it would occasionally bump down then back. I am guessing a ground somewhere in the cluster - I have an ALDL readout that tells me tach right off the ECU so I haven't made fixing that a priority.

2. Same here with the window marks. My dew wipes are finished, also there is part of the mech in the door which is kinda hardened and causing that mark. It looks like to fix it correctly I will need to remove the outer skin so I haven't tackled that either. :)

3. I bought mine this way. The motor had power but no pump. Surprisingly the motor was cheap and in stock at CT.

4 and 5. Probably need to swap both out. Trunk is accessible from inside, door likely needs outer skin removed but I do not know for sure.

6. Need to find the CEL code. You can read ECU codes with a pin shorting of the ALDL and counting blinks on the CEL light, I found the procedure online. You may also want to read about WinALDL and set yourself up with a little diagnostic setup with an old laptop. Got a lot of info for me - there are 20 or so values you can read from the ECU and I have found some very useful in understanding my Indy's temper when cold.

7. Same damn rip in mine, probably the same place. I am told it is leather, but I found an exact match in vinyl at Fabricland and plan to create a patch for the entire piece. You could pull it apart and sew in the new piece but I am going to try to lay in a patch up to the edges - did a bit of a test and it looks like it will work.