G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starting Issues
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:36 am 
Addict

So I've run into some type of starting problem on my 4 cylinder indy. Engine cranks but no start. This problem started this year, never had an issue with it before. The problem has gotten worse - it ran great the first few times out this year, then one day did this after running for a while so I thought it was something to do with being warm. Sunday it started great cold, trip into town, then several attempts in a parking lot until it finally caught. This morning it was no-go cold in the garage.

I hear the fuel pump cycle on key-on. When it did do this and finally caught, the car ran great and normal so I'm not thinking fuel delivery, maybe electrical. Lots of crank and a new battery. Are there any relays or other potentially intermittent items to look for that provide ECU power under crank? Again, it seems intermittent but now getting worse.

I know pretty much no-one here has a 4 cylinder but I'm hoping for some suggestions. Thanks guys.

Post subject: Re: Starting Issues
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:07 pm 
Addict

So if it's cranking it has to be fuel or spark. Can you check for spark and fuel pressure?

You and me both working on problems left over from last year that are getting worse :(

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:26 pm 
Fieronut

I had a simular issue and it ended up being my relay plug was corroded. The power line was all green so I had to replace the line in the connector and solder it to the harness.

8-)

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:25 am 
Addict

Adam pretty much has it. Dude you do know your fieros. :)

So got at this last evening. Funny thing is now there was no fuel pump noise but it seems I had that before. Checked for any pressure at the filter, nothing. Got out the manual and traced the circuits, decided fuel relay was a good place to start. Undid it from the firewall, pulled it forward a bit to look it over, tried again and (of course) suddenly it's running perfectly. There was a bit of corrosion but nothing on the terminal ends but nothing too major, but I replaced the whole relay assembly anyway. Guess time will tell for the moment. Pulled the relay apart too, it was in fair condition so maybe it was intermittent contacts under the low voltage condition while cranking.

On a rant note, who at GM though putting those wire harnesses right above the exhaust manifold was a great idea? There's some melting of the plastic in there, likely she was on fire at some point judging by the crispy plastic on the one wire cover.