G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:44 am 
Addict

I don't know what's with people. 2nd weekend in May and finally getting their cars out so the rest of us can. I digress ... I have a couple of quirky little things going on this year.

Starts great, fast idle, runs great - while standing. Get 'r rolling though and for the first 10 mins or so, not a happy camper when you are not on it, or cruising in the lower registers. Once warmed up all is well. Giving her new thermostat, plugs & wires in hopes of faster warmup and better spark for the inferior gas we're being provided with these days. Any feedback would be great.

Second issue and not that new. I have a shimmy that seems to start around 110kms where it comes and goes. Tried moving side to side looking for a bearing issue but doesn't seem to have an effect. Beyond 120, same issue, but the shimmy can get a little downright annoying.

Finally, GT Fastback quart window - 2nd replacement. The 2-way tape is pulling away :(. Any bonding agent you can think of to goop in there and hold it in place. It's not bad, but with the gap the door window catches the lip and, well you guessed it - that's why the 2nd replacement.

Good to be back on the road !!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:06 pm 
Addict

Well some additional info.

The studdering problem when cold and in the lower rpm register has corrected itself - well kinda. After I went through my first tank, without the new plugs or wires is now running great. Let's chalk this one up to me not insisting on Shell V-Power before storage :(

More info on the shimmering. Once it kicks in around 90kms, although is worse at 120, beyond that - and I will not say how much :) - it simply continues WITHOUT getting any worse. It's also a symmetrical imbalance as in it goes away for 1 second and comes on for 3 ... hmm.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:00 pm 
Fieronut

Does the vibration feel like it under your ass or in the steering wheel? You might have a tire out of balance.

8-)

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:52 pm 
Addict

Hmm, pretty much shimmies the entire car. I was thinking that because it was cyclical that couldn't be tires as would be more consistent. New front tires last year. Moved the existing front tires to the rears. Asked the store to take a look but who knows. The car used to start to shake around 100 and get downright out of control by 120 before I purchased the new tires. Had a broken belt - maybe I've got one starting out back. Something at least to look into.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:30 pm 
Single again

I'm having a similar issue with mine, the steering wheel vibrates right around 100 KPH, which I think is an improperly balanced tire, and then the shimmy/drifting around 105 and up. If I figure anything out, I'll be sure to let you know!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:06 pm 
Fieronut

ALSO, if you have aftermarket wheels on your car, make sure you have the proper size centric rings too! If you don't have these, you will get vibration above certain speeds depending on how far out the wheel is from the center.

8-)

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:15 pm 
Addict

No spacers - only wheels purchased specifically for the car (or should I say my original 85 SE).

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:24 pm 
Fieronut

BigB wrote:
No spacers - only wheels purchased specifically for the car (or should I say my original 85 SE).

I'm not talking about spacers, these are centric rings. Most aftermarket rims have a larger centering hole then the Stock Fiero's 57.1mm. The rings go inside the aftermarket rims to bring the size down to center on the fiero hubs properly.

8-)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:10 am 
Addict

Hmm, interesting. I now recall what you are talking about. It's been a couple years since I removed the rims myself and cannot recollect whether I have them, or needed them. Will check and post back.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:09 am 
Addict

An old thread but thought I'd officially shut-er-down with a solution to my shuttering/shaking issue.

I broke down and installed a new set of tires on Blu's rear to match the set I had installed last year. NIGHT AND DAY. She's soooooo smooth now. Who knew - lots of life left in the tires, no cracking, no winters, still soft, 12 years old though. Anyway, I am back in sync with Blu as she is now back to the car I was enjoying a few years ago now. We've been going through a bit of a rough patch lately as there are more than just a few maintenance-type items I need to take care of, and a shaking car was driving me nuts - NO MORE!

BTW, and can possibly be attributed to the shake - we'll never know. I still had the factory rotor lug springs installed, only on the back. They are used to hold the rotors in place during the assembly process. The tech took them off this time around. Was it a factor? I don't know, but thought I should mention it.

:)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:37 pm 
Addict

The spring steel retainers on the studs would not cause wheel vibration. Some causes that come to mind would be snow or mud inside the rim, dried mud in one spot of tread, missing wheel weights, old tires that have been sitting flat or not fully inflated.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:51 am 
Addict

That's what I was thinking but unsure. So I'll chalk it up to old tires and move on. I put 600kms of smooth kms on the new tires this weekend ... so nice!