G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:34 pm 
Addict

I've got to get new tires in the spring, and am debating what to do.

I have 16" x 6.5" rims, currently with 225/45/16 on them.
Thinking about getting 205/50/16 for the front and 225/50/16 for the rear. Would like to go 235, but the rim isn't wide enough to keep the height down.
Do you then get non-directional treads so you can 'rotate' side to side, or do you just stick em on and wait till they need to be changed next? Or do I just go with the even 225 front and rear and rotate as needed depending on the tread.

What does everyone else that has a 16" rim run?

I'm also going to be repainting the rims as they're starting to flake and bubble, but do I paint them before or after the new tires are put on? I'm thinking after, so that the installation doesn't ruin my (hopefully decent) paint job.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:10 pm 
Fieronut

I was planning on going the same route with my rims when I purchased new rubber. Would have like 205/50 ZR17 for the front tires but it's an uncommon size and about $30-$40 more per tire so I stuck with 225/45 ZR17 all the way around. You can feel it in the steering from a dead stop, but once the car is rolling, steering gets a little easier. I was tight for cash too at the time, I could go back later and buy another set of those tires, dismount the front and have two complete sets them. They are a directional tire.

These are the tires I bought: Maxxis MA-Z1 Victra. Got a good deal from a local shop in Whitby called Tool Tyme, owner's name is Ian. Only thing is he doesn't install so I went up to 2nd time around in North Oshawa to install them. I've dealt with them in the past & Ian recommended them too. There is another member here who has also bought rims & tires from 2nd time around.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Maxxi ... Victra.htm

8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:35 am 
Addict

Depending on how you plan to refinish the rims (paint, polish, etc) doing it before mounting may be better. I did mine before and it was a lot less messy, but I also did a sand-and-polish. Shedding of the waste water was a lot easier to manage. I built a turntable rig on top of an old wash basin to collect the water. With the tire on it would have been all over the place.

As for install, just tell the place you're staying with the rims and do it. That's what I did with mine and it was about the only time there hasn't been damage on an alloy from the mounting "process". There actually have to be SOME places out there that don't beat the **** out of rims when mounting tires!