G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:50 pm 

I'm trying to do my valve cover gaskets this weekend so I'm in the process of tearing everything down. Ive got everything unbloted from the fuel rail but I cant seem to pry it off.

The injectors in #3 and #5 don't seem to want to budge and I'm having a heck of a time with it. Is it safe to spray some penetrating oil on them and try to pry it?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:40 pm 
Fieronut

they normally pop off with a little persuasion, it's just rubber O-rings keeping them in place. Make sure you have the cold start injector removed and also the fuel lines coming into the rail. If you left those attached, there is a clip a little father down that secures the lines to a bracket attached to the block. When you go back to install them, make sure you grease up those O-rings for easy installation. ;)

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:21 pm 

After about an hour and a half and ALOT of persuasion they finally came out. Both of the o-rings are in pretty rough looking shape so it's probably not a bad idea to change them all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:00 am 
Addict

Yes, it's a good idea to replace all of the o-rings. They're pretty cheap and simple to swap out.

When re-installing your new valve cover gaskets use a little RTV and "glue" them into the channel in your valve cover until you can hold them upside down without them falling out. I didn't do this my first time and I must have pinched the rear one on re-installation because in short order it tore and sprung a leak.

Adam told me how to glue them in first and the second time around it went in without issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:28 pm 
Fieronut

If you have your entire intake apart, it should be easy to install the valve covers without using any RTV. I've done it many times without issues. It when you try to do the job without the intake off it can be a headache. Just need to carefully watch you don't catch it on anything.

8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:53 am 

I put a little rtv on the rear one and let it sit while I went to work tonight. Just put it on with no issues at all!