G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 85 GT engine swap
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:51 am 

i have a 85gt bought it with a blown engine, i picked up a used 2.8 from a 87 i dont have the wire harness or ecu from this engine can i make it work with my original harness ?

Post subject: Re: 85 GT engine swap
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:26 pm 
Fieronut

Mitch85GT wrote:
i have a 85gt bought it with a blown engine, i picked up a used 2.8 from a 87 i dont have the wire harness or ecu from this engine can i make it work with my original harness ?

The harness will work now problem between these to motors as long as the transmission is also staying the same. You will have to modify the water pump though on the 87 motor. The return line for the heater core meets up under the car on 87 /88 models while your 85 goes directly back to the engine. You will notice the difference on the actual pump. With a propane torch, heat up the pipe on the 85 engine enough to loosen it to remove. Then you will need to remove the plug on the 87 water pump to install the pipe from your 85. Use some thread sealer on it to make sure it doesn't leak.

How many km's are on the 87 engine? Might be wise to change the pump on it while it's out if it's still the original water pump. The new pump will come with the pipe already installed and the plug.

Also, lets see about downsizing your sig. I fixed the link to show the picture for you. ;)

8-)

Post subject: Re: 85 GT engine swap
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:07 pm 

thanks again . . .sorry about the sig im new to this just trying to figure it all out