G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Engine swap
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:27 pm 

So since I am still in University I am looking for a side project. I really need more power than the stock 2.8.
I need to decide what engine block I should buy to put in. I want to rebuild the engine from the ground up and do it right.

Here are my thoughts, since the 3.4 pushrod is the same block as the 2.8 I was thinking that would be good to use to keep the aesthetics from the stock fiero engine. Also since it is basically a direct bolt in it would be good for my first fiero engine swap.

So any thoughts or tips? (as in should i focus on a different engine or what car should i try to get the engine out of?)

Thanks!

Brett

Post subject: Re: Engine swap
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:55 pm 
Fieronut

My suggestion, first start off with how much more power you want in the Fiero. Then look at motor options for that power and what is involved with installing the motor and are the parts still available for that motor.

I'm currently building up a wish list for another Fiero owner. Started off with rebuilding upper frame rails, now he wants to know how much it would cost to install 3400 motor, Lebaron big brake upgrade, and suspenion upgrade. $$$

8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:26 pm 

goal is to keep cost low, with efficient power. I'm not really looking for a certain number with certain performance, more just doing the thing and learning about engine rebuilding for when i have money to put into a dream swap. the rebuilding will be a long process as i dont really have much income, if any at times. so thats what also sparks my interest in the 3400. any thoughts on the 3400 DHOC? it puts out more power but whats the install like? and wouldn't rebuilding of the DOHC be more expensive?

I have lots of time to think this all through, planning on buying the block in the summer when i have some cash.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:40 am 
Fieronut

3400 DOHC? May you be reffering to the 3.4L DOHC ;) GM has three 3.4L motors they used and people do get them mixed up a lot. I was thinking of doing a 3.4L DOHC at one point in time, my idea was have three fieros and each one have a different 3.4L motor in it. 8-) I know one owner who had a DOHC motor for the longest time and was trying to sell it. He's since moved to London, but I know his Fiero is still in Durham, so the motor might be there as well if he never got rid of it. The swap can be done, a few members on Pennocks have done this swap. It would be wise to build it from scratch so you know the block is good. Little more modding in the engine compartment to make it fit with those big heads on the motor. 205HP stock, little cam adjust will bump that up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:48 am 
Creator of the SBC Fiero

Save up the money and do a 3400 or 3500 swap. No to be confused with the 3.4 DOHC. Dont bother with the 3.4 camaro swap or the Dohc. A good friend has a camaro swap with about 5k of upgrades/work and it performs ALMOST as well as a stock 3400 swap. It also ended up getting the 7730 ecm swap anyway for driveability. I could go on with reasons but due to its age I think its a swap of the past.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:11 pm 

well thanks!

what car/model should i look to get the engine out of then? I think i will scrap the idea of the DOHC and just go for the 3400 or 3500, whichever one fits the fiero aesthetics

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:38 pm 
Fieronut

88formula wrote:
well thanks!

what car/model should i look to get the engine out of then? I think i will scrap the idea of the DOHC and just go for the 3400 or 3500, whichever one fits the fiero aesthetics

Here's a link to photos of the swaps I've done / helped out with.
http://s913.photobucket.com/albums/ac339/3400Swaps/

I'm currently making a parts list for another Fiero owner as mentioned earlier. You don't really see how big a project can be until you have it all on paper in front of you. :shock:

8-)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:47 pm 

well im expecting it to be a long list haha. Maybe i could bug you to forward it to give me an idea?

It is a long term project and it will be second to my academics. A friend in Ottawa is just finishing his 3800 swap after two long years. This is a learning experience and I am going to do it right, as long as it has to take.

Thanks for the pics, I will take a look at them on the weekend when i have more free time. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:58 pm 
I did a 3400 swap on my 85 GT.this summer.I got a 2000 alero with the 3400 motor in it and drove the car for 2 months before doing the swap.I had the 3400 PCM programed by Sinister performance so i'm running OBDll and it runs great very happy with the performance and it looks great in the trunk lol.X-thumpr-X was a great help and the pics help a lot.Me and my dad did the swap in 2 months and that was only a few hours a day.I'm only 17 years old it was a fun swap.Thanks to the info from X-thumpr-X.Good luck with your swap.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:23 am 
Fieronut

85GT3400, glad I could help out with another 3400 swap. Next time my motor comes out, I got attempt at OBDII. I went OBDI because a friend of mine could program it & he did a few intsall in cavaliers.

88formula, the 3x00 swap is becoming more popular in the past couple of year and there are plenty of help threads out there now & people with experience. When I did my swap, only a few people were attempting it so it was all R & D for us. :geek:

8-)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:06 am 
I'm glad u got the forum running.i had to make a new user name and password.I wasn't able to sign in on my old user name.I'm the guy from vancouver bc that u help.Thanks man Tino