G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Engine swap survey.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:43 pm 
Single again

I'd like to start a small survey on a choice of two engine's. (I'd like to know your thoughts on the two choices.)

1993-95 Northstar and a 2003 Ecotec 2.2

Which one would you choose and why?

I have an 84 Fiero and I'm looking for a little "push" to see what engine I should go with. I work as a fabricator and have access to a CNC laser, TIG welder, etc. I have all the necessary components to do either swap.

Thanks everyone.

Post subject: Re: Engine swap survey.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:27 pm 
Addict

I would go Turbo ecotec all the way if you don't want to do a 3800..

If you do go with a 3800 and make good mounts (especially if you end up using that F23 you mentioned you just picked up), then you can make a few spare sets and perhaps sell them and make a few bucks. Ditto for Ecotec.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:42 pm 
Fieronut

I have to agree with Pete, Ecotec would be my choice too. Ecotec is not a common swap so you have some originality with it and there is a lot more aftermarket parts for the Ecotec. With the right block, the GM "cook book" says you can get at least 1100HP out of that motor. :shock: I used to have a copy of the "Cook Book" on my computer but lost it when a hard drive crashed. :x

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:50 pm 
Addict

My personal choice would be the 96-99 Aurora 4.0 L , turbocharged and an F40. Something along the line of Chris West's car.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:15 pm 
wannabe

Most people probably know my choice since I'm doing the ecotec swap/build right now.......I'd stay away from the 2.2 (LE? block) versions though, go with the 2.0L LNF or LSJ blocks, or if you want the 2.4L version is alright as well. The 2.0L motors are built for boost and have better components internally and don't need as much work to handle more power when compared to the 2.2L versions.

Jer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:14 pm 
Single again

Hey Jer.

The Ecotec that I have is the L61. It's a good runner, and it's complete with F23 transmission, etc. I'm not looking to build anything too crazy, like your build! I'd like to make this a fun summer car and normally aspirated for right now. I've been a V8 car guy for the longest time and the Northstar seemed like the way to go for me. Then I got a good deal on a 2003 Cavalier with the Ecotec. So while I can go with either driveline, that's why I posted this survey. I'd really like to see your car in person. (If you ever had time on a Friday or something.) I too run a laser (3500 watt Mits) and I'm sure we have a few things in common. Anyhow, thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:55 pm 
wannabe

L61, that's the engine code I was looking for, guess I was too lazy to google it. It's good for a fun engine, the F23 trans is good and can handle some power. You can throw some boost at the L61, say a stock LSJ blower setup, going to have some fun getting the computer to understand boost, but you won't be able to really amp up the boost without doing something to upgrade the internals of the engine.

I'm going to be around the shop on Saturday but I'm not sure if the car will be, going to try to get it to the soda blasters this week so it might not be around. Drop me a pm if your interested in coming around......

Jer