G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brake calipers
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:28 pm 
Single again

Any advice on a good make and/or vendor for brake calipers? Are there any brands that I should look for or avoid? When I was putting my front end back together the other day I really had to squeeze the right front piston in just to get the caliper back on. I think it's partially seized, because I can feel it dragging a bit when I'm driving. I checked Rock Auto, and I see they have a whole bunch of different vendors and options.

Had I known I was going to need these, I probably would have done a full brake upgrade, but I've already invested in new pads and rotors for front and rear :(

Edit: Probably want to look at replacing the brake lines if I'm going to be taking the calipers off, so any suggestions in that arena are welcomed as well. I found these ones on eBay, and they were mentioned on PFF a couple of times http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Brake-Lines-Line-Hoses-Hose-PONTAIC-FIERO-85-86-87-/190997333722?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c785406da

Post subject: Re: Brake calipers
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:44 pm 
Fieronut

I bought the same set from the Scarborough supplier, I had to modify the holder to fit them though. They are just a generic brand which they list them to fit every car. If you want a plug and play direct fit with no hassles, go with the Fiero Store brand. You will pay more for them but they are top quality parts and I've seen a set up close. If I had the extra cash I would have bought them instead.

As for calipers, call around your area and price out what it would cost to have yours rebuilt, compared to buying a new set. I know there are a few places in Toronto that does them. Only issues is that the car is so old, how many places still have seal kits to rebuild them in stock. Even though you just put new pads and rotors on, still look into a break upgraded. With a bigger motor now, once you have that first panic stop, you will want them right away, trust me! :o Someone here with complete stock platform might buy your current set-up.