G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help!! Car is dead :(
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:12 pm 
Single again

I took my car out of the garage on Saturday and moved it to the driveway. Started up like a dream and ran great when I took it for a quick spin. It sat from Saturday until today untouched, and when I went to move it this morning, everything was completely dead. No lights, no chime, nothing. I assumed I had left something on and killed the battery, so I put it on a charger. As soon as I hooked it up, the charger showed the battery at 100%. Thinking maybe the charger had lost its marbles, I put a different one on, and it also showed the battery fully charged. Any idea what could have possibly happened to cause this? What can I even check to see what might be wrong? Fuses??

'85 GT with 3800sc/F23 5 speed

Thanks in advance,

Cameron

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:52 pm 
Guru

CHECK the battery cables, the cables & connections to the starter, alternator, to the c500 link...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:11 pm 
Addict

When you have a battery that is dead and as soon as it gets the charger shows full it is usually a bad cell in the battery so basically time for a new battery

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:33 pm 
Single again

I checked and cleaned the two connections at the C500 and they seem fine. The battery is fairly new, and I had it on a trickle charger on and off over the winter, but have my backup battery on a charger now and will swap it in later tonight or tomorrow morning. The thing that really gets me here is after all those months of freezing cold weather, it started up like it had never been out of service, only to die a few days later without even touching it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:33 pm 
Fieronut

get a meter and put it across the battery to see how much charge is on it. If it has full charge and nothing getting power, check the ground connections first to make sure they are not loose on the motor or the frame. You can do a tone test to see if the ground is good with the mutli meter (ground terminal to frame & engine) After ground is confirmed good, then start looking at the positive lines. Make sure the starter hasn't loosened up and the positive distribution block under the C500 connector. Look for corrosion and clean any off.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:52 pm 
Single again

I put the multi-meter across the two terminals and it read around 10.7. IIRC shouldn't I be seeing around 12.2 or so and 14 when running (If I were able to get it running)? Maybe I do have one dead cell in the battery? Still, I would think that would be enough to at least get the courtesy lights on. Tomorrow I'm going to check the far end of the ground cable and see if it's in good shape.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:38 pm 
Fieronut

could take the battery out and let crappy tire do a test on it, see if a cell is bad. Where did you buy it? Think Wal-Mart has a tester too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:06 pm 
Single again

Car is up and running after putting my spare battery in. Took the other one to Canadian Tire and although it was only putting out 9 volts when I brought it in, it took a charge and showed as good. Don't know if taking off and cleaning the connectors by the C500 did anything, but I'm back on the road. Only 75 KM to go to clutch break-in period over.....

WooHoo!! :D