G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rumbling from rearend
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:48 pm 

Help... 88 formula/308. I was out for a road trip and I barely made it home. The car developed a serious rumble in the rear. I thought it was a flat and got out to check. All tires were ok. When I got home I checked for loose wheels but they were all ok. Any Ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:51 pm 
Addict

Motor or tranny mounts, axle shaft, trailing arm bushing, strut, hub. These would be my first things to check

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:43 pm 

Thanks for the info. I just purchased a shop manual (Haynes) on ebay. I only recently purchased the 308 and have only about 3000K on it. It is a shame that it is broken already... I had hoped to at least get one summer out of it. I didn't run it hard but I didn't baby it either. Anyway it is back to the Guzzi for my back road fun. I wii have to wait until the shop manual arrives before I do any tear-down. BTW - Is there a hard point for jacking the rear of the fiero? The center jack point seems a bit awkward for getting the rear end in the air.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:23 pm 
Guru

if you haven't found it already, lots of helpful people also on Pennock's fiero forum.

is the 'rumbling' constant? gets louder with more gas pedal? slows down with speed?
exhaust related perhaps?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:24 pm 

Hi,
The rumbling is always present and it definitely gets worst with speed. I limped home with it after my last outing and it was like I was riding on a flat tire. (all tires are fine). I suspect a cv/universal joint problem but I have no idea what the rear end looks like. I have to get my hands on a shop manual before I try to fault find. Does anyone know where there is an online exploded view of an 88 rear end?

Cheers
Len

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:09 pm 
Guru

try the link in here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=296

I would get the car up and start looking for obvious signs, moving wheels, suspension etc...if its that loud, good chance you might be able to see something or by hand...keep us posted!