G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:27 pm 
Single again

So, which is it? 84-87 or 84 only? The reason I'm asking is I'm going to be doing my brakes next weekend and I want to prepare for the worst (which is pretty much the way things have been going for me lately). I got in the car a couple of days ago and it really seemed like the brake pedal suddenly sunk a lot further down than normal, and if I pump the pedal it will firm up, so classic symptom of air in the lines. If there is air in the lines, seeing as I've not touched the brakes yet, I'd have to say there's a leak somewhere. If that's the case, would anybody recommend this kit provided it would actually fit my '85? I know it's pricey, but I've never done brake work before so it might be the safest bet.

Oh, and I did find a small puddle just in front of the passenger side rear wheel, but no idea what it is, other than 'dark'

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:18 pm 
Addict

I just read that you recently had an issue with a dragging calliper, how old are your flex hoses ? Because when flex hoses get old they collapse inside, the rubber rots inside and swells, causing calipers to stick, increasing pressure in the lines from resistance.

Whichever you decide to replace or make your own, it's not too difficult but it is tedious work, comparing, test fitting, lots of crawling around.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:30 pm 
Single again

Flex hoses are probably just like the rest of the car when I got it - stock original. There's a good chance what you're saying is true. Tedious I can do, crawling around I've done plenty of since I bought this car so maybe I should think about making my own. I guess I'd need to get a bunch of line and a flaring tool then. Where would I find such beasts?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:44 am 
Addict

If you can buy pre-bent and flared brake lines, why the heck would you want to make your own? At $160 for a set, it is not a bad deal, and hopefully saves you hours of mindless frustration under the car. I understand having to custom make parts that aren't readily available, but brake lines??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:43 am 
Addict

I had issues with sticking calipers in the past, it was caused from old flex hoses. The Fiero store was sold out of stainless lines when I wanted them so I made repair, I only ended up replacing the front right line. If you're having trouble keeping pressure in the lines, try to determine if the fluid loss is front or rear, the master cylinder is divided, front and rear, the front has two separate lines, the rear has one that splits into two at the rear. Bleed procedure if I recall correct is left rear rear, right rear, right front and left front. Longest line to shortest. I also put my thumb on the bleeder valve, exactly the same way you put your thumb on the end of a garden hose, to build the pressure and pinch out the air. Lots of blue shop towels, Hope that will help you get everything sorted.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:36 pm 
Fieronut

cam-a-lot wrote:
If you can buy pre-bent and flared brake lines, why the heck would you want to make your own? At $160 for a set, it is not a bad deal, and hopefully saves you hours of mindless frustration under the car. I understand having to custom make parts that aren't readily available, but brake lines??

$160 US plus shipping, think I bought at most $50 worth of brake lines and $50 in tools at princess auto. Remove the old lines complete so you have a template to make the new lines. If you're never done bubble flaring before, best to have someone there who has to show you how it's done.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:15 pm 
Single again

Is this the kit you got from Princess Auto? $40 full price, and if I keep my eyes open for the next few months may be able to snag it on sale.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:25 pm 
Fieronut

That's one of the kits, not sure if it's bubble or flare. I bought both when they were on for $20 each. don't forget the pipe bender ;)