G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 4.6 NorthStar Install??
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:09 pm 
Addict

Hey all,

So I'm going to pickup some goodies next weekend and thought I'd start thinking about this.
Along with the car, body parts and extra cradle/engines... comes a northstar L37 from a 99 STS - with wiring and 75% cradle.

Besides the cradle, are there any other *major* body modifications to be done? I'm sure the decklid hinges would need to be removed, but not sure if I'd need to notch the decklid or even the strut tower?
Also - would this pair up with a Muncie 4spd? Or would a getrag be a better option? or even 86 Auto?

Just thinking out loud here is all...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:57 pm 
Fieronut

Talk to Dave E Bouy, he has a lot of experience with the north stars. ;)

8-)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:12 am 
Single again

The Northstar into a Fiero requires:

-Relocated front crossmember (on cradle) to clear the oil pan.
-Removal of some of the bellhousing webbing to allow clearance for the starter.
-Something to hold the one bellhousing hole that doesn't match up. (Optional if you're anal)
-A relief cut/dent into the passenger side strut tower. (88 only) 84-87 chassis' don't require strut tower mods.
-Slight removal of some decklid hinge. (Passenger side)
-Custom wiring.
-PCM? Stock, Ryan Hess 7730 ECM, LS1, etc.
-Custom engine mounts.
- 4 cylinder throttle cables work well for the swap as they're nice and long.
-Mid-year 4 cylinder fuel lines that go around the left side of the engine compartment are almost plug and play.
-Neutrally balanced flywheel from a 2.8/3.1 redrilled to the N* flywheel pattern. (Or custom aluminum CNC made, Spec, etc)
-5 speed Getrag and 6 speed F40 (G6) work well. 4 speed has shift cable clearance issues, Izusu may not handle power long term.
-Despite what others say, you can keep the full, stock trunk.
-Heavier rate rear springs, 350 lb range.

I highly recommend getting a N* that needs no work done to it.
If you get a 96-99 engine, you can go the Ryan Hess wiring route, which offers great bang for the buck.
If you have time and money, the N* is the way to go.
Oh, treat it like a black box and don't take it apart. These are expensive engines to work on, especially the bottom end.

PS-A Northstar in a Fiero will do high 12 second ET's.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:12 am 
Addict

Thanks for the detailed run-down Lunatic.

Once I get the stuff this weekend I'll have to really take an inventory of it all to see what I've got to deal with.
I like that it'd be a bit easier with the 86 frame. Didn't ask if the mostly modified cradle was 88 or not, I'm assuming not.

If I decide to go through with this there'll be more posts I'm sure.

Did Dave get his installed yet?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:45 am 
Addict

Well, I've got all the stuff from someone in Quebec. Lots of goodies to get me in the right direction.

The car will mainly be used for parts, not really sure how bad things underneath.. buts it's kinda rough in some parts.
AC removal and install into my SE likely - I know that'll be a long-enough project

Main things to be done are:
- Cleanup the cradle, maybe re-weld some parts to look better... (not to say I'll be better, never welded before)
- Attach trans mounts and put it all together. Slight cleanup of everything, without taking much apart.
- refinish valve covers that are stripped down
- Create wiring harness
- Use PCM / Program 7730 ECM?
- Battery relocation
- Install (planning for next year)
- Exhaust
- Enjoy - hopefully

Pics!
Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:41 am 
Single again

I'd like to see this install take place as I'm biased and love the Northstar. I have four of them stashed! You said it's already attached to a four speed transaxle. Is it safe to assume that you're going to stay with a manual trans or is the massive automatic going in? Either way, it'll be a lot of fun. There are too many variables when it comes to installing the Northstar and nobody makes a "complete kit" because of this. You have it good since you have a spare cradle waiting. Even if you can't weld just yet, you can always tack everything in place and take it to get welded. If you've ever in my area, let me know. We'll have a bbq and some beverages.

Shayne

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:36 pm 
Guru

good acquisition!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:38 am 
Single again

Since you have the 99 Northstar (96-99 family), you have options on the PCM. Since your engine already has the IAC, (idle air controller) I'd use 98-02 Firebird/Camaro LS1 PCM with the Shelby Aurora Series 1 tune on it and go from there. In 1999, Shelby built the Series 1 with the Aurora 4.0 V8 and used a GM LS1 PCM to run it. It was only used with manual transmissions, but most speed shops have tuning software that can tune these computers. The 4.6L Northstar you have is basically just a bigger version of the Aurora engine. This is a "manual tune"; therefore, no automatic transmission for you. I could tell you what you would need to get if you want to go this route (computer, wiring harness, etc). Let me know.