G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:43 am 

I'm not one to post very often since I think everyone on here is way more knowledgeable than I am when it comes to Fieros. I have an '84 Fiero that I have slowly been working on over the past few years and have enjoyed every minute I work on it. It is an '84 base model with the Econo 4spd transmission (MY8) and I really like driving it. The engine is still good and running well. I'm trying to decide whether or not I keep the engine and fix all the little minor things with it or put something else in.

A friend of mine has a 2.2L Ecotec from a 2007 Saturn ION available for me to rebuild and consider installing. My questions though are:

1. Is it compatible with my current transmission?
2. Is it worth the time & effort to swap with this engine for a daily driver fun car?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:25 pm 
Addict

Biggest problem engine wise with our cars is they were made when 92 hp seemed like enough power for driving which in its day was not that bad. Unfortunately in modern times where even your four door grocery getter has over 200hp it just does not seem good enough any more.
The 2.2 non eco tech did share the same bell housing as the Fiero but the eco tech does not so you will need to replace both the engine and tranny if you want to use the 07 engine Good thing is mounts and shifter adapters are available through Roger Thelin for this tranny so that will save you some work if you decide to go this route.
The choice to switch or not is some thing you will have to decide, if you are happy with the duke and it does not need much or any work at all you can keep driving while you decide on what you want.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:18 pm 
Addict

I still have the duke in mine, but it has the indy transmission (manual) which is geared taller so it is plenty fun at city speeds. Top speed suffers though so it is not a long distance driver. I don't do much highway driving so it works out. I've looked at doing a swap, but the current setup works fine and there is cost and down time involved.

The duke also has decent room around it to do repairs which is a pro. Like Dan says, in the end it's up to you. It would definitely be an easier decision if the duke breaks though. :)