G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: stalling
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:18 pm 

ok.... so my son's first car a 1984 fiero 4 cylinder automatic

has developed a stalling issue, after 7 months of problem free driving. . It can stall at any time, cold or hot, wet or dry, idling in park or in gear or running at 80 kph.
it could run great for 3 days but on the forth it could stall 5 times in 10 klm. Sometimes it will start again after a few min and sometimes wont start till next day.
When running, its smooth no erratic rpms no check engine light or codes
took it to 2 mechanics they can find anything wrong with it, one mechanic had it for 4 days and used it for part pickups and it never stalled, he even mention how well it ran. When I picked it up it stalled 500 feet out of his driveway and would not restart and we pushed it back. We replaced, fuel mapping sensor, coil pack, distributor,, plugs, wires, all filters ran it for two days no issues. My son came to pick it up and it left him on the side of the rd 12klm from the shop.

So now he doesn't want to drive it because it will leave him stranded some where.
And he cannot afford to keep throwing parts into in for trial and error purposes.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: stalling
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:29 pm 
Addict

Do you still have fuel pressure at the rails and can you hear the pump prime when it has stalled out, that is what I would check for first basically figure out if it is a fuel or a spark problem then go from there

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:52 pm 

Im not to mechanical lol... im a body man and a painter

both mechanics said that its probably
a electrical issue from what it sounds like

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:59 pm 
Addict

I had a problem years back with an 84 where it would shut off while driving then start right back it ended up being power from the battery to the ECM cutting out. The 84 model and only the 84 model had a separate wire for this from battery area it ran under the intake and across through a single wire connector that looks like the O2 sensor one then into the harness going into the firewall. Every diagram I looked at did not show this wire I got lucky and found it when searching for the problem. This wire is only to the ECM and the ECM uses this power to turn on the pump and power the injector so when it cut out no more fuel. This might be your problem

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:31 pm 
Addict

Just to add another thing to check, you might try replacing the fuel pump relay under the hood on the firewall behind the driver. I have an 84 as well and one day it would simply not start. It took several minutes until it did, then it would not replicate for a while. Then it failed to start again thankfully at home - I replaced this relay and the problem has not reappeared.

The relay was working fine but the wiring in the connector was intermittent. I replaced it with a standard 40/30A auto relay - this replaced the relay and fixed the connector problem.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:31 pm 

It sounds like either an electrical wire (relay possible), or a vacuum leak (could be a the brake booster if the mechanic didn't already find it.

It's probably less likely the vacuum leak since a mechanic should have found that. But mechanics are notoriously bad at finding electrical issues.

You literally have to wait for the stall and then check for power at various locations, unless you want to just start checking everything, which also isn't a bad ideas since some things can probably use a fix anyway (that aren't broke yet).

Good luck.

Aaron

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:28 pm 
Addict

When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter?
Sounds silly, but those are the classic symptoms of a semi-clogged one.
It's also possible your fuel tank has a whole bunch of crap in it that is sloshing around and at times blocking the inlet.
You also could have a very small rust hole in an underbody fuel line and it's sucking air.
I have had all these issues over the years.

Just my .02

1991 Beretta GTZ W-41 Quad 4