G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AC / Fan Upgrade
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:08 pm 
Addict

I've been thinking about it for a while and starting to see some parts show up and around. My car has no AC, and the fun cable-driven fan controls.

What I'd like to do sometime is get AC installed (large project I'm sure). Ideally would need to have a spare car to strip the AC plumbing out of, so might be interested in a scrapper/shell that has AC for a V6, if anyone knows of one around (London area would be best for pickup/storage).

So, other than the main pipes, compressor, condenser etc that is in the engine and front compartment is needed? I believe the whole fan/heater assembly needs to be changed?
I have the push-button controls, but will require a wire harness. Do all the AC push button controls use a cable for the temp slider? Or did I act too quick and get the wrong one?

Any input will ease my mind. I don't see this happening this summer unless someone has a killer deal on parts/scrapper/shell though... Maybe next year.

Post subject: Re: AC / Fan Upgrade
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:36 pm 
Addict

Hmm... this has AC...
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z452274711

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:46 pm 
Fieronut

unfortunately, the harness is different for the A/C Fiero. Your car will not have the wires & connectors for the motor servo's to run the A/C unit. Either you change your entire harness (front, cab, engine) to one that is for an A/C Fiero, OR you can trying to find the harness and disect the wires from it and add them to your car. The temp control is still a wire control for either A/C or non A/C units, it's the doors inside the units that are controlled by the servos. This will be no easy task and expect to take a couple of months to do it at a leasurely pace. Require gutting your interior and front compartment to do the job. Talk to Rourke, he's in the middle of doing the same swap for his 88 coupe right now.

8-)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:15 pm 
Addict

So it's not as 'simple' as adding power options in terms of wiring. Hrmm
Well it's on the plate, but something I'll aim to do next year I think. See about getting a parts car and stripping it at my parents' before tackling my car.

I know Rob was keeping the AC stuff from that shell he demolished earlier - I would've taken it if he wasn't. :-) Maybe he'll take some pics, and have tips along the way.

Thanks Adam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:21 pm 
Fieronut

it's a big task to under take. Each section of the harness has wires in it that would be needed PLUS not to mention trying to put them in each main connector & added them to your ECM too.

8-)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:01 am 
Addict

Yea, like you said - getting a whole harness is likely "easier". Oh joy.

Does the ECM need to be re-programmed or unlocked to have the AC function? Though I guess at that point, might as well take the ECM from the donor.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:17 am 
Addict

There are only 6 or 8 or so wires extra to control the dampers that go from the controls to the damper assembly, all inside the cabin. There's power and the mode wires. If you have the end connectors you could probably just point-to-point those. The bigger job will be swapping the airbox assembly and all the AC plumbing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:18 pm 
Fieronut

ECM's i believe are all the same, you just need to put the wires in the proper pin location.

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:07 pm 
Addict

Actually I did forget the AC compressor wire, that would need to go to the engine compartment (didn't put that in when I automated my controls). There is also a hookup that turns on the ran fan when AC is on - I believe that is an external connection.

Does anyone know if the whole airbox assembly be swapped from the front trunk or does the dash have to come out?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:17 pm 
Fieronut

dash has to come out to remove the A/C box. There are vents screwed to it from the inside for direction flow, plus you have to get at all the door controls whether it be cable or motorised.

8-)