G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 88 GT rebuild
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:37 pm 
wannabe

Just want to post pictures of my 1988 GT I picked up just around the corner from my parents in Flamborough near highway 6. In all honesty I think I got a great deal at 850$ American Car (but 2nd generation Canadian) -
- 120,000 miles, 5spd.
- Very little rust in rails, none in trunk.
- poor paint. Body panels in good shape, but a little cosmetic fixing needed.
- Several body modifications (chin spoiler I really like, trunk scoop is okay, cut out air dam in front I dont care of but want to keep the 88 panels with the serial numbers so I will live with it. Other cheesy modifications removed (rubber skirting along sides.. ugh).
- Drivers side inner door panel in rough shape, no carpet, no headliner/backer
- No spare tire
- Fancy lithium racing battery (Small, I dident actually care for it, so I replaced it, but worth a few hundred $). Located up front but PO did a good job with electrical.
- several beechwood interior pieces painted black. Slowly replacing
- Rear quarter panels windows missing.
- car HAD A/C , but everything is disconnected in the back. Thinking about removing the entire thing to save weight?

Things I had to do to certify/etest it :

- Headlights were stuck down. Quick rebuild kit from Rodney took care of that
- Tires were shot, I took the opportunity to get something a little more tasteful
- Rear drivers side caliper was stuck. Got a rebuild, and took the opportunity to replace the rotors on the rear and of course the pads. Previous owner had put on SS lines, so left those in tact.
- Passed first emissions test. Replaced cat (Which clunked when I banged on it) with cheapie canadian tire replacement. Poorly clamped on, but it did the job and I passed easily :)

That was it for what was required.

Other modifications I have done.

- purchased rear quarter windows from Ebay.
- Found some carpet and headliner (yet to install headliner)
- "Led"ed all side markers
- Flush front signal covers from PPF
- "Led"ed all interior lights
- Rodney front battery tray installed
- front fender vents from PPF (yet to be installed)
- New wires/plugs/rotor/cap/timing
- Dropped fuel tank to fix inaccurate fuel gauge
- Replaced Alt. as it died on me after a few months (grrr)..
- Replaced entire exhaust from downpipe back with 2.5 from ebay. Its not a perfect fit on an 88, a few customizations where required. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/380361502042?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
- while I had the exhaust removed I replaced the starter with a lightly used one (Existing on looked like hell)
- Added two Weapon r racing mufflers to exhaust (Just test fitted, needs lots of adjustment. Thats the furthest in they will fit without modifying the rear bumper cover, which I will do next in order to tuck them in another few inches.) http://www.weapon-r.com/products/1928-universal-g5-twin-mini-10x10x4-tip-size-3
- Removed a bad non functional alarm install that was draining the battery
- replaced rotton outer dew wipes. I was able to find a reasonable replacement on JCWhitey for 20$ on sale. Fits great, I did not transfer any of the other hardware from the old dew wipes over as I was pleased with the "holding" ability of just the wipe itself, both with the window up and down.
- fixed incorrect RPM gauge with variable transistor trick http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/tach.html

Things still left to do
- install both front and rear side scoops.
- exhaust leak from trunk side manifold. I can see a few bolts are broken, so thats going to suck to fix.
- s10 break booster. I have the 88 corvette adapters for the calipers but I think I am going to try just the booster first.
- Paint of course.
- Headliner
- JL 6W3 or 8W3 under dash (waiting for a PFF member to finish this underdash setup to sell).

Now some pictures.

Post subject: Re: 88 GT rebuild
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:53 am 
Single again

I'm glad that you bought this car and are doing good things to it! I hate to see Fieros at the salvage yard. I see you have a few pieces missing. I can "give you" a spare tire and factory jack. I have a complete interior but it's grey in colour. Let me know if you need anything.

Last edited by Lunatic on Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 88 GT rebuild
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:19 pm 
Guru

COMING along nicely...good jobs :D