G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: My '85 GT now 3800sc
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:10 am 
Fieronut

netcam wrote:
I have no idea what the ball joint is for. It was a repackaged product and somebody labeled it as a sway bar link, so whoever filled the order obviously just went by the part number on the bag. I guess tomorrow I'll be putting the ball joints on but won't be able to finish hooking up the sway bar. I could drive it, but after doing springs and shocks front and back I don't want to go too far without an alignment and risk screwing up my almost brand new tires.

Where did you order the swaybar links from? Crappytire lists them for $16.19 a piece. ( I put in 87 Fiero 2.8L but same as 85/86)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/nasca ... 24910.html

8-)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:41 pm 
Single again

I got them from Rock Auto, they were under $4 each. Even with shipping you can get 2 for $21. At least I know if I'm in a hurry I can get one from CT, but as it turns out I wrecked one of my ball joints, so I'm waiting until next week anyway :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:42 pm 
Fieronut

netcam wrote:

OUCH, had the wrong adapter on the clamp I take it?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:12 am 
Single again

I was trying to straighten it out after it went in crooked. Put the end of the rod on the side that needed to be pushed further in, the tool slipped and, well you can see what happened. One of the problems I had was I can't keep everything straight while I try to attach the adapters, and then the cup I put on top hides the ball joint so I can't see if it's straight or not.

When you do yours, do you use an adapter that fits on the inside or outside of the ball joint (black or red circle)?

Last edited by netcam on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:49 pm 
Fieronut

the adapter sit's on the outside ring of the ball joint, you don't want to press the inner section.

The PartSource/ Crappy Tire ball joint loan a tool is not too specific, every time I use it I forget which of the adapters I used the previous time and have to test each one again till I find the combo I like.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:16 pm 
Single again

I borrowed the tool from PartSource, and the biggest problem I had was the size of it. I couldn't get the right 'bits' assembled and get it into position, even with the upper and lower control arms as far apart as I could get them. I took that one back and got my $300+ deposit back before I ended up 'buying' it. Went to Princess Auto and picked up their tool, which is less than half the price, but of course I can't return it when I'm done and get my money back (can I???? :D). Hope to see the new (again) ball joints sometime next week and will give this another shot.

Here's the tool, a lot like the PartSource one, but a bit smaller and with not quite as many adapters, but I think it has what I need.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:57 pm 
Fieronut

Looks about right but I don't think I used the standard adapters meant for the Fiero. I made my own combos up that worked out well. It's just making sure you have the front of the car off the ground high enough to get the tool under it. Think I might have an inch of play when I put it in place.

Try to get Bob to take pics tomorrow while changing it. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:47 pm 
Single again

Managed to get the first one in. Wasn't all that bad but I think I got a bit lucky. I held it into place, put the adapter under it and gave it a few taps with the hammer and it seemed to hold in place nicely while I put the press on. The other side was not being as cooperative. I tried 5 or 6 times, and every single time as soon as I started applying pressure the adapter would slip to one side and start to make the ball joint go in crooked. I'm going to go at it again tomorrow when I've had a bit of time to think about it, but I have no idea why this one is being so much more difficult than the first. Have to say this is #1 on my list of worst things to do on a Fiero, surpassing replacing the oil pan gasket on the 2.8.

Last edited by netcam on Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:40 pm 
Addict

Ball joints can be lots of fun, freezing them over night first helps a little but even then they are still a pain.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:59 pm 
Single again

Actually I had them in the freezer for a couple of days, but with the weather, the control arms have pretty much been in the freezer as well. I guess tomorrow I'll try heating the LCA with a torch before I give it another go.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:58 pm 
Single again

OK, turns out I couldn't wait until tomorrow. Went out at 10:00, set up my light, grabbed my torch and heated up the LCA. I took one of the other adapters that came with my install tool and tapped the ball joint into place, put the adapters on and 'voila', in she goes. I never knew that hearing a really loud bang when working on my car would actually make me happy, but when it popped in I sure was :D

And I figured out the best combination from the kit to press the ball joints back in too if anybody's interested. The one in between the two circles was just right for tapping the ball joint in to get it started nice and straight.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:36 pm 
Single again

On to the final (?) steps now. Went to drop the steering knuckle down over the new ball joint, and it seems to stop about 3/4" or so above where it needs to be. Is there a trick to getting the knuckle to drop down to the right level? I was thinking that putting the sway bar link on first was a bad idea, but then thought it should just push up if it needs room. When I was jacking up the LCA it got to the point where it was lifting the whole car and the ball joint wasn't going any further through the hole in the knuckle.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:50 pm 
Fieronut

How tall is the ball joint? That boot is sitting rather high. DId you push the boot down over the ball joint? I've use on of the ball joint rings carefully push it in place.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:26 pm 
Single again

The ball joint appears to be the same size as the old one. I'll try using the snap ring to get the boot down a bit further, but seeing as it's rubber I can't imagine it would prevent it from going in far enough.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:54 pm 
Single again

Looks like I have one side finally complete! Now all I have to do is drive to Lewiston first thing tomorrow to pick up my dust shields (I really wish I had just paid the $40 shipping) and I'll be able to get everything back together and get it into the garage for the winter. (And there was much rejoicing.... yaaaaay)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next