G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:40 am 
Single again

Okay guys, here's my take on a simple, square tube cradle that I whipped up.
It's only tacked (in the first three photo's) but fits in the car like a glove.
In my build, I'm going to install an L61 2.2 Ecotec and matching F23 transaxle.
Initially, I built it with the 84-87 lower control arms in mind. However, after picture three, I ended up with the 88 suspension. I've now decided to use the 88 components instead.
This cradle is slightly heavier then stock. However, with the lighter engine, it'll all balance out.
I'll add more pictures as time goes on. I do work in a non-heated garage after all.

Last edited by Lunatic on Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:27 am 
wannabe

Not bad, should work pretty good, there is a couple things I'd like to point out since I've gone down this route already. 88 links on the frame are not equal, the front ones are set in a bit more than the rear links. It's like that because of the trailing arm design of the rear 88 suspension, the arc the trailing arm needs to be matched with offset lateral links that will follow a similar curve and allow the rear wheels to toe in under compression of the suspension.......they don't stay parallel during the stroke of the suspension. Drop me an email and I will send you cad drawings of the required link locations and angles, coppertop_01@hotmail.com.

Second thing I'm seeing, the lateral bar you put in, not sure if that is temporary or not, but you should look at putting something like that in, your tubing looks like it's 2x2 with 1/8" wall and might not be strong enough for the suspension links without some sort of support between the links.

If you wanna make your own links I'd suggest going to bicknell racing in st.cath, they've got tons of stuff. Also check out speedway racings website, they've got some really nice adjustable links that are poly inserted and pivitable for the rear trailing arms.

Lastly if your chassis isn't an 88, you will need to change the strut mounting location as the 88's where in a totally new location.

Jer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:43 am 
Single again

Thanks for the compliment and tips Jer!

I built this cradle to the 84-87 control arm locations. Ironically, just after I built it, I bought rear knuckles off an 88! I have a few measurements that I've taken off a factory 88 cradle and I so think I can incorporate them into my cradle.

And yes, that's only a "temporary" bar to keep things square as it's only tacked. I did build this on a "fitting table" at work so I wanted to keep it square until I got it home. There, I will fit the Ecotec to the cradle and verify where another brace can be installed. There will be a few other gussets added once I establish where the driveline is going to be located. It is 2"x2"x1/8".

I would like to laser cut some adjustable camber plates as well. That way I can orient the location of the 88 struts into their proper location. I also have several 5/8" and 3/4" heim joints with dust covers. So, I'll be working on the trailing arm design at a later date.

By the way, how come you're so lucky that you can store Fierion inside at your work? I can use all the fab equipment at my disposal but my stuff has to sit outside. Lol.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:32 pm 

dont forget to put bushings in the tubes to keep them from eventually collapsing from tightening the 4 main bolts
with some forethought you could reuse some cleaned up original ones

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:49 pm 
Single again

vortecfiero wrote:
dont forget to put bushings in the tubes to keep them from eventually collapsing from tightening the 4 main bolts
with some forethought you could reuse some cleaned up original ones

Although I'm not done with this cradle as of yet, I appreciate the tip. I'll box in the openings as soon as I get there. I'll also be using new bolts in all locations.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:17 pm 
Single again

Okay, back to the cradle we go. I capped the ends, added two stiffener braces and made mounting points for the trailing arms.

I will machine down a spacer and install it between the two points shown. It'll help to spread the load.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:26 pm 
Single again

Looks awesome, you have some serious talent with metal there!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:56 pm 
Guru

netcam wrote:
Looks awesome, you have some serious talent with metal there!

I was just gonna say, good welding! my dad was welder/pipe fitter!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:33 pm 
Single again

Some of you may be wondering the weight of this cradle. Well, I decided to weigh the stock 88 cradle and mine. So I'll share the results.
PS-This 88 cradle that I used for comparison is damaged! The car was hit in the side. The only thing missing from the crossmember is the steel plate where the engine mount was and the rubber transmission mounts.

Cheap bathroom scale with two piece's of 2" x 2" used as a platform. Zeroed out after placing the tubing onto.

88 Cradle on the scale.

88 bare cradle weight = 50 lbs.

My cradle on the same scale.

My cradle weight = 66 lbs.

So as you can see, my cradle is 16 lbs heavier than a stock 88 piece. However, with the lighter weight of the Ecotec and F23 versus the stock 2.5 Iron Duke and automatic transmission, I'm probably close to the same weight overall. Perhaps a little lighter, which is good, but nothing serious enough to upset the balance of the car.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:47 pm 
Single again

I took a little break and drew up my cradle. I know some of you are interested in building your own and need some guidance and measurements. I'll add some dimensions to the drawing as soon as I can.
PS-This drawing needs to be finished. I need to add the lateral end link brackets, trailing arm brackets, sway bar brackets and end caps.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:29 am 
Single again

This cradle that I designed was made for "my application". I like the position of the engine, transaxle, suspension mounting points and exhaust routing.
I'm offering a basic material cut-list drawing for those interested in making their own cradle. Feel free to modify it as you see fit for "your application".

I'll work on a drawing with better measurements and different views, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:25 am 
Single again

Here's a few more dimensions.