G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:07 pm 
Creator of the SBC Fiero

This is not meant as a complete guide but as a general how to. I imported one of my Fieros from Pontiac Michigan via Port Huron 5 years ago and another from Connecticut via Lewiston (Buffalo) 2 years ago. I am also helping my father import another car from Pennsylvania right now.

A couple important points, importing via Gananoque (sp?) can be a pain, last I checked 2 years ago they need to have the ORIGINAL title in hand 72 BUSINESS hours before you can cross the border, I asked and they will NOT accept COPIES. As far as I know you can ONLY import Monday to Friday excluding Holidays.

The "how to" is based on current Buffalo/Lewiston information and also held true for Port Huron 5 years ago ( porthuronvehicleexport@cbp.dhs.gov ) 810-989-8838

No matter which crossing you plan to use I recommend calling way ahead. The reason I recommend the latter two is because you only need to email them the vin and date of planned crossing a minimum of 72 BUSINESS hours before importing.

Here is some info directly from the US Website:

Quote:
For instructions on how to export a vehicle to Canada, please call the CBP Port of Buffalo vehicle information hotline at (716) 843-8359. Procedures include sending an email with your export intentions and vehicle identifications number (VIN) to buffalovinnyoffice@dhs.gov. CBP personnel will confirm the receipt of your email and provide additional instructions. The Vehicle Export Office is located at the CBP Lewiston Bridge Cargo Facility and is the ONLY CBP location in Western New York where you can export a vehicle. You must report to this office with the vehicle(s) and all applicable documentation at time of physical export. Hours of operation: Monday - Friday 8am-4pm, closed federal holidays.

This info is on this page ---> http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/ny/0901.xml

I suggest calling the 716 number to confirm what documents they need from you at the border, I'm pretty sure its:

1) Title
2) Bill of Sale
3) Passport
4) I recommend printing the confirmation email they send you and bringing it along

Once you have all this you will stop at the above listed cargo facility to get US approval and paperwork to export. You then cross the border and stop at the Canadian facility.

There you will fill out a legal size piece of paper with carbon copies at the back of it. This is also part of the RIV program http://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx Fieros are EXEMPT from this program because they are over 15 years old.

After filling out vehicle and personal details you have to select the appropriate option on the form for vehicle over 15 years old, this is literally in the middle of the middle box on the form. The Canadian Border agency will stamp the middle box to confirm that it is exempt for the program. They will also charge you GST 5% and $100 dollar A/C tax (even if it’s not connected and removed) and give you a pretty blue and white piece of paper to document this, keep both papers you will later need them for the MTO.

PLEASE NOTE: kit cars and modified vehicles now have special rules and there is a chance not all fieros are allowed in, the e-testing for engine swapped cars i.e. 88 fieros has now also changed and can be a pain.

Here is the Transport Canada Website for Importing Vehicles ----> http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safevehicles-importation-usa-index-445.htm

Once you have your car home in order to plate and register your car with MTO you will need:

1) you have to go somewhere that is recognized by the RIV program i.e. Canadian Tire, you show them the import papers and they give you another stamp on that long form to confirm that you are exempt form the RIV program (the CT I went to was nice and did it for free)
2)88's you need an e-test
3)safety standards certificate (same as every other car in Ontario)

Once you have those three you can register and plate your car with the MTO, at this point they will charge you the remaining 8% of the sale price to complete the transaction.

And now you can enjoy your freshly imported fiero :)

Last edited by sbc on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:27 pm 
Addict

i never had to get a form to be exempt from RIV- this was a given due to the age of the cars

I simply imported, and was able to get an ownership right away

Sure is nice getting a rust free southern car instead of spending hundreds of hours trying to restore a hunk of Canadian rust.....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:28 pm 
Guru

gr8 info, thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:12 pm 
Creator of the SBC Fiero

Hey Pete,

This was the standard yellow import form from the border and customs gave me RIV exemption on it too. However, when I went to the Service Ontario kiosk in Port Perry they made me go to a RIV inspection station with the import form and ownership (no car needed) to get a stamp from them (Canadian Tire in thid case). First car 5 years ago I didnt need it second car 2 years ago I did... Could be a regional thing who knows, either way it took 5 minutes and was free :)

Nick no problem. I've done it a couple times now and was trying to help someone do it recently, figured it was time to write down everything I researched. :)