G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:50 pm 
wannabe

Picking up a 3800sc very shortly for a swap ive been thinking about but not really planning for. Looking for basically anything/everything I will need to make this happen. Have lots of parts to trade (including several sets of fastback taillights)..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:16 pm 
Addict

Drop by one day and I can show you every thing you need

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:03 am 
wannabe

What transmission do you plan to go with?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:29 am 
wannabe

SSKev wrote:
What transmission do you plan to go with?

I think just the stock Getrag 5sp. I understand I need a different flywheel etc. Unless there really is a reason to avoid that.

To be honest, this will be the biggest project I have every done on a car. I've done plenty of body work, alternators, starters, waterpumps, calipers etc etc. The biggest undertaking ive done is a timing belt job on a VW TDI.

I other words, im trying not to complicate it too much. I don't imagine myself going crazy crazy on engine mods. I find the stock v6 to be pretty peppy, and I no doubt will find this 3800 more than fast enough.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:12 pm 
wannabe

It does make the swap easier, and less swap parts required.

Just be careful with the flywheel and clutch setup. The wrong setup will have clearance issues and have the pressure plate contacting the transmission bellhousing. Pain in the ass to resolve when that happens.

Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:45 pm 
Addict

I have a used spec stage III clutch removed from a 3800SC getrag for an F23 swap that would not clear the f23 with around 10,000 km on it, always keep one machined and balanced flywheel in stock from Fiero rog to save waiting on one when needed. I suggest getting new shifter cables unless you have mint ones for better shifting and installing new master and slave cylinder is also a good idea. Rodney Dickman sells new cables and clutch hydraulics.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:34 pm 
wannabe

Darn cars wrote:
I have a used spec stage III clutch removed from a 3800SC getrag for an F23 swap that would not clear the f23 with around 10,000 km on it, always keep one machined and balanced flywheel in stock from Fiero rog to save waiting on one when needed. I suggest getting new shifter cables unless you have mint ones for better shifting and installing new master and slave cylinder is also a good idea. Rodney Dickman sells new cables and clutch hydraulics.

Actually waiting for a response from FieroRog re: his mounts.

I was a little confused by some of the videos. I have a stock set of new mounts I purchased from RockAuto a few years ago. If I use the FieroRog getrag mount, is there something else required , or am I just replacing the rubber mount while I am in there?

I am sure it will become more clear once I drop the cradle and get everything out of there..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:27 pm 
wannabe

I am not sure of the Fierorog mounts, but I can tell you the stock mounts don't hold up well to a modified 3800sc (if you ever plan on it) and some aggressive driving. I used to have a 3800SC with a getrag (in the process of swapping for a built 4t65e-hd), and the stock mounts were ripped in half. Once you figure out what mounts to use with the brackets I strongly recommend a poly mount, and getting a dog bone up top.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:36 pm 
Addict

Fiero Rog makes my old style mounts I gave him the designs for them a few years ago, they are designed to work with the stock Fiero rubber mount pieces making them basically mount brackets. Will also work with Rodney Dickmans poly mounts. he is a nice person that does really good work. He also sells 3800 F body manual flywheels already machined and balanced to work with the 3800SC engine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:31 pm 
wannabe

Use Rodney dickman mounts then! They are fantastic. And I may have a pair of transmission mounts to sell too lol.

I bought them, and then realized they wouldn't work with my WCC transmission mounts, so they have been bolted to the cradle, that's it.

But seriously, get poly mounts all around, and find a way to use an upper dogbone as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:31 pm 
wannabe

Oh ill certainly be using the upper dogbone. Ive already got a non stock one with poly. thanks for the input.