G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:05 pm 
Addict

Went for a cruise with the wife today after washing all of the storage dust off of the car. Car was looking great and driving great and I was moving along on the highway when my speedo shot up a bit then dropped to 0. Got to a friends house 15 minutes from where it happened and pulled the sensor to find this:

That shaft that the gear wheel sits on sheared right off. I have no idea how this possibly could have happened other than the part being defective. I poked around inside as far as I could reach and did not find any sign of the gear wheel where I could reach with my finger.

Needless to say I need a VSS and the proper gear drive. My car is an 86 GT with the 4spd Muncie. Even if you don't have one a point in the right direction would be awesome - I don't know the car well enough to know how fast I'm going by feel or RPMs.

Question: I know logically foreign objects in the transmission case is a bad thing. My car seems to drive fine after this has happened. Does the transmission now need to be pulled with this thing in there?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:20 pm 
Fieronut

I can check to see what I got at my unit, should have another gear for that one, just need to pull out the plastic stub left inside it. Since the gear is plastic, it probably got chewed up pretty good but doubt it damaged anything metal in the tranny. I had the same thing happen once, I just changed the oil to get as much "CRAP" out and went on my way.

8-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:45 am 
Addict

Thanks Adam. Your experience > mine lol. I panicked when I saw this and googled a pic on my phone at my friends place and thought that the sensor had failed. I'm a lot more comfortable knowing it's only plastic in there now.

I'll start hunting for another gear wheel incase you don't have one.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:14 pm 
Addict

While searching for a gear just in case here's a photo I found of a VSS like mine on rock-auto. Note how there's a shaft sticking out in that photo but none on mine. Are you sure that mine isn't missing a piece of the shaft in addition to the gear? I just can't see how a new gear would get installed on the sensor as pictured above.

Edit: After searching through 18 pages on PFF my sensor is missing the shaft which I think means it needs replaced as well. Here's a pic of the VSS from my exact year/model/tranny etc, which matches the photo I found at rock auto.

If anyone has a VSS and/or wheel please let me know. In the mean time I have to try and see if the shaft is in there and if I can get it out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:45 pm 
Fieronut

I still have that 4 spd tranny I'm selling, if it come down to it, I could take that one out.

8-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:54 pm 
Addict

I thought I needed a blue gear, but turns out I need a red one for the correct speed to read based on this info from the FSM.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20110502-2-103442.html

I'll take either colour if I can get one, I can still use a blue one and know that the speed is off a bit if that's all I can get until I can find a proper red one.

Adam thanks for you offer I'll get back to you. I'm trying to source one still I would feel bad about taking one out of your complete kit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:40 am 
Addict

All I've got to say is that Adam (x-thumpr-x) is a real stand up guy.

Thanks for the offer Adam, will see you tomorrow.

Last edited by Ry86GT on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:03 pm 
Guru

Ry86GT wrote:
All I've got to say is that Adam (x-thumpr-x) is a real stand up guy looking.

Thanks for the offer Adam, will see you tomorrow.

I 2nd that; gr8 help & resource to our community for years! 8-)