G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:31 am 
Addict

Anyone have a spare / working V6 ECM coolant temp sensor kicking around?

My car chugs twice - only on cold startup - and is very touchy with any engine load until warm. From what I read the ecm temp sensor is my likely culprit, I've tried unplugging it and plugging it back in to reset the contacts and it didn't really do anything. My IAT sensor was changed with my complete tune-up so it shouldn't be that. IAC valve was cleaned and reset and working, no vac leaks.

I actually tried to order one from RockAuto with the rest of my tune up parts but like an idiot I ordered the gauge sender instead. (anyone need one???)

Will trade parts if I have something you need, or straight up buy.

I know they're not much so if no-one has one I will just order one, just thought I'd try here first.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:32 pm 
Addict

You may want to test the sensor with an ohmeter - it will read back a resistance relative to temperature. This isn't the same one I found at one point on the net but you can see how the resistance relates to temp (pull the sensor and dip in icy and/or boiling water, read resistances).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:32 am 
Fieronut

Another friend just had his sensor go on him one day without warning. RPMS jumped by 1000 and had a high idol. We put another one I had in and ran fine again, I have a more few spares lying around if you need one.

8-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:24 am 
Addict

Mine isn't critical at this point - I haven't had the time to pull it and test it. The car still runs and drives fine - it's only on cold starts it chugs twice, then will high idle like a normal cold start and drop the idle as it warms up. If I blip the throttle when parked immediately after a cold start there is a split second of hesitation. Then after about a minute all is well.

I thought first things first I'm going to reset the computer incase it learned something funny somehow. I did that yesterday because it was easy and drove the car all day so the real test will be the next time I try to start the car.

If it does the same thing I will start looking to the sensor.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:52 am 
Fieronut

Just out of curiosity, do you know how to reset the computer without disconnecting the battery? I've talk to many people who never new this little trick. Under the C500 connector in front of your battery as many know is the positive distribution block. The harness that goes to the engine from there will have a small connector about a few inches from the beginning of the tube wrapping sticking out. That is the power feed for the computer and you just have to unplug that for a few minutes to reset it.

8-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:22 pm 
Addict

Someone had told me that on Pennocks but then others had replied saying that it either didn't always work or could damage the ecm so I haven't tried it - I just disconnected the negative terminal for a minute or so and reconnected it.