G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:16 am 

i have a 85 2.8 with 130,000km on it and just realized i have a bad oil leak from my oil pan, it was a few pin holes near the timing chain, so instead of JB welding the holes or using roofing screws to fill them i opted for a new pan and gasket, so after removing the starter and getting the pan out i noticed that i could see my timing chain. i'm still getting used to these motors so i was surprised i would find it. but i decided to feel the tension even though 140k seemed really low to have play.. but when i pushed on it there was lots of play to the point that i knew it has to be replaced so it doesn't skip a tooth or worse. anyways i'm wanting to do this myself since i never take my cars to mechanics for anything. AND I MEAN ANYTHING! so i have found some water pump related threads on Pennocks fiero forum, and yes i'm planning on doing it to... but in all these discussions no one really talked about what's involved with the timing chain itself. so i wanted to know if i need to reset my timing or can i just make markings and make sure everything lines up when i replace the chain and gears? also what is the gasket called between the chain cover and the motor? and is there any tips for doing it, i plan on leaving the motor how it is even though i have heard about dropping the cradle slightly. hope im not missing anything and any help would be appreciated. and even the companies you purchased your parts from would be great! but for the heck of it does anyone know the shop rate or cost of this job? :)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:33 pm 
wannabe

I just replaced my timing chain. I've never done it before, either. Here's my thread on PFF. I did it with the engine in the car, without touching the cradle. It was cramped, and a few of the bolts were a pain (but you've already done those).

The most valuable resource I had was this video. Granted that's a Camaro, and the water pump and hoses are different, but it is effectively identical past that.

I replaced the chain, gears, and tensioner/guide. The gears themselves have marks that should line up (point toward each other). You'll be pretty close still, so you just install the chain carefully.

When reassembling, you'll probably turn the crank a bit tightening the crankshaft bolt, so you'll need to find TDC. I used my dad and a straw in cylinder #1. We then adjusted the distributor so the rotor was pointing at #1, then set the timing.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:45 pm 
wannabe

Also, here's the parts I used (1987 GT, so you might need some slightly different parts? Not sure)

Now, that gasket set is mostly usable. However, it was miscatagorized as working for a Fiero. It actually has the wrong water pump gasket (it would work on the Camaro, and possibly some others). All the other gaskets fit correctly. Luckily the water pump came with it's own, so I wasn't hunting for a replacement.

The water pump has an extra tube coming from it that must be removed and capped for use in the Fiero (the cap is supplied). I had a very hard time removing this tube.

Other than that, I basically did all the things the guy in that video did. gasket sealant on gaskets, grease around that crank seal, etc. I used engine assembly lube on the chain and gears once they were together, followed by an oil change after I drove it about ~100km.